EGR delete help

philstad28

Ok so yesterday i went to delete my egr. I bought the egr delete kit from spinning wheels and thought it was going to be an easy install. I unbolted the egr from behind the the plenum which i remembered was a challenge when i removed my blower the last time lol. i went to go unbolt the pipe and i couldnt get it off with an adjustable wrench :(. What is the exact size of the egr bolt on the pipe and any ways to get it off? Any advice would be helpful :)

Thanks, Phil

Probably have to remove the manifold and use some heat and WD 40. There's just not much room down there.

I was afraid of that. Taking the manifold off sucked when i did it last time :(. Do you think heating it up enough could get it off?

Chuck the adjustable wrench. it will judt round off the corners of the fastener you are trying to loosen. six point combination wrenched are a must for tough fasteners. i personally use craftsman and snap on.

I had my wind star apart and it seems like a 13/16 or 7/8s. i dont know on the sc but i bet its of similar size. be careful and dont bop the neighbors dog in the head. :) i may be able to check when i get home in about 3-4 hrs.

is the tube leaking? if not you can just leave it and disconnect the vacuum. cosmetically it's not the prettiest but I'd rather leave it than mess with the manifold ...if you decide to pull one off might as well pull off the other and you can port the outlets...you get 2 gaskets in the set

Haha i wont hit the dog just my crappy neighbor :rolleyes: lol. The tube is leaking. When i went to do it i noticed the inside of the tb was covered with gunk. Is this normal or is my egr messed up? There isnt any vacuum going to it right now

I didnt get to check the egr nut size. Her left rear spring shackle rusted in two on her gmc jimmy. Thats what i fixed tonight. Ya neighbors, bless their hearts.

Ok well thanks for checking for me. I think im going to tackle it on the weekend. I really dont want to have to pull the manifold because there really would be no benefit because i already ported them lol. Would i be able to just cut the tube towards the bottom with a dremel and just plug the hole?

Idont know. suppose you could try, but if it didnt work then that time and effort is wasted.

I deleted the egr on my 90 5 spd. The egr on the back, all that was left when I was done, was the mount. I cut a plate to fit, used rtv and gaskets, and bolted it back up. I took the tube off of the manifold, put in a penny, and tightened the nut up. seals good, and have had no probs in 4 years. I get a check engine light after it has been running a while, but always clears when shut down.

If i were to cut the tube could i use a penny to seal it or is it only if i can get the bolt free that the penny would work? I have a cap from the kit i got on spinning wheels but i couldnt get the stinkin bolt off lol

You have to get the nut off to use a penny. Can you get a dremel down there to cut the nut vertical and then pry it off?

Hmm i could try that. Im going to be working on it over the weekend so im going to try to get the egr delete done then. Maybe i could actually delete it then rather than taking it apart to have to put it back together :eek: lol

the main reason I did it when I did, I was doing the hg's, so it was already apart. Made it a ton easier, and that nut has to come off.

I should have blocked it off when i did my headgaskets but didnt really think about it because just doing the hg's was enough of a headache :rolleyes: lol

I managed to finally get the egr off :D. I ended up having to drop the exhaust which kinda sucked but i ended up deleting my 3rd cat and resonator :cool: . Car sounds good now without crazy drown and im going to install my pulley next weekend. For the egr do i just unplug the sensor after i put the block off plate on or plug the tubes with the sensor connected?

mine is still plugged in, but all the lines are gone. I believe that a tune is needed to get rid of the CEL that it will cause.

Back