28.5x10 R15 on rear?

JT15601

I lined up a good deal on craigslist to a set of 28.5x10R15 drag slicks that I want to run on the back of my sc. I have 7 inch wide steel 15" rims off like a Taurus or something with the correct bolt pattern. The car is stock height but has stiffer shocks in the rear. Could I fit these tires? Would wheel spacers cut it?

Not the answer you want, but anway here goes.
I have 275/60-15 M/T drag radials on my cougar.
The rims are 15x8 weld draflite 90's.

9' wide. There is room on all three sides for a bigger tire.
Also, stock ride hight.

Last edited:
First, I think a 7" rim is way too narrow for a 28 X 10.5.

I run them on a 93 mustang, 10" weld rim, with fully adjustable suspension (coil over/ drag sway bar/ all four links) and had to roll the fender lips and significantly massage the inner well with the 5lb precision adjustment tool:p

I don't think there is any way you'll get those tires under a SC body without rolling/beating and possibly cutting for clearance, but I have never tried, or looked closely with that idea in mind.

Just my .02, but if the deal is good enough, you can give it a try, and always turn 'em again if it does not work out. Let us know if you do try it, always interest on the site to see others wheel/tire combos

Oops just reread and saw you were talking 28.5 X 10 not 28 X 10.5. I still hold by the above opinions tho.

Adam

Last edited:
I lined up a good deal on craigslist to a set of 28.5x10R15 drag slicks that I want to run on the back of my sc. I have 7 inch wide steel 15" rims off like a Taurus or something with the correct bolt pattern. The car is stock height but has stiffer shocks in the rear. Could I fit these tires? Would wheel spacers cut it?

Are you sure they're not 28x10.5-15? What specific tire are they? I run a 28x11.50-16 bias-ply ET Street without issue, but that is actually narrower than a real "10.5" tire like a ET Drag.

Last edited:
They are MH race master 10x28.5 r15. I'm sure of this I looked at them in person. The guy has had them for years they've never been used they still have the marks from where the stickers were peeled off. He wants $100 for the pair. Seems like a deal to me. I'm not so much worried about back spacing because I can get 2" hub adaptors and I'm positive it will clear then. I'm more or less worried about diameter. Ive seen many peoe run 27.5 but I measured it all up (I'm not an idiot I measured 1.75 inches out from my current ~25" tires) it will be close. I do know that the little mud guard on the inside back of the fender has to go. Its like a little plastic triangle.

They are MH race master 10x28.5 r15. I'm sure of this I looked at them in person. The guy has had them for years they've never been used they still have the marks from where the stickers were peeled off. He wants $100 for the pair. Seems like a deal to me. I'm not so much worried about back spacing because I can get 2" hub adaptors and I'm positive it will clear then. I'm more or less worried about diameter. Ive seen many peoe run 27.5 but I measured it all up (I'm not an idiot I measured 1.75 inches out from my current ~25" tires) it will be close. I do know that the little mud guard on the inside back of the fender has to go. Its like a little plastic triangle.

OLD drag tires are not so great because the rubber gets hard!

OLD drag tires are not so great because the rubber gets hard!

They are still pretty soft and dark black and have no dry rot. I mean there not new but the side walls are still very flixible and the rubber "tread" if that's what you call it is very flexible as well. I gave them some good foreplay when I looked at them ;) lol

Do you have a link to the actual specs of the tire (actual section width, tread width, and diameter)? I see a 10.5/28.5-15 and a 10.5/28.0-15 listed on their site, but I can't find any info on a 10/28.5-15. Regardless, if they're as old as you imply, I wouldn't bother. What was the date code? Is a 28.5" tire even close to appropriate for the rest of the setup?

DON'T DO IT !!!

I tried running an old set of MT's on my mustang, the tire went flat on launch, OR the side wall ripped (don't know which happened first), bunched up in the inner wheel well, tore up the inner well, and ripped the urethane heim joint on the lower control arm in half!

Trust me, A; it was NOT an enjoyable experience, and B; when you have to fix all that the price of the old tires will no longer be good.

Also as mentioned above, the oils in the rubber DO evaporate/dry out over time, and no matter how "good" a tire looks to the eye, it will NOT hook as well as a new one.

Adam

Back