Hi/Low beam headlight Relay location

cougarxr7

I have a 90 and 89 xr7's.
Both cars had headlight problems, replaced the relay on the 90 of which it is located to the right of the steering column, mounted on the console behind the kick plate and that fixed it.
Now the 89 has light problems, the relay is not there,
Does anyone know where the high/low beam relay is located on the 1989 super coups??
I cannot find it!
Thanks!

There isn't one. Matter of fact, the only relays in the headlight circuit is the autolamp dual coil relay for cars with the autolamp option.

I suggest you first grab the EVTM for both of your cars - they're available on Ebay, and sometimes you can buy new from Helm Inc. With that, you can trace out the wiring and find out what's where.

Second, when you replace the headlamp switch and/or the multi function switch (or both!) that's the problem (unless you're lucky like I was, and it's the feed wire to the MFS popped out of the connector!) then you can add a relay harness to keep this from happening again.

On the 1990, I think the relay you replaced may have been the autolamp dual coil relay. Not knowing for sure which one (or even what you call a relay!), I can't say 100%.

Aside: Before you order either the MFS or the headlamp switch, pull it and get the COMPLETE part #. The suffix (such as -AA, -BB, -AB, or whatever) will determine WHICH one you have, and it's a good suggestion to get the correct one for your car. RockAuto has them at reasonable prices.

RwP

Thanks for replying Ralph!
However you might want to have a look. Count 11 down.
I have had no real luck uploading the jpgs I have of this.
My 90 has this relay, pull it and the headlights do not work.
Yet it is not where it should be on the 89.
I will continue to troubleshoot this and will update thread on what I find!
Again thanks!
View attachment 60990
View attachment 60991

You may need to post them on a picture sharing site, and then link to them here - I can't pull those attachments down.

However, the only relay I find to the right on my 1991 that fits that description (LH side of IP, RH side of steering column) is the autolamps dual coil relay. Which, alas, does not relay the current through the headlamp switch or the MFS - but instead, when pulled, will kill the headlights.

That is NOT a high/low relay.

Quick question - did it look like this unit? http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa...rd/_/N-igp61Z9cj6h?itemIdentifier=953488_0_0_

If so, then it's the dual coil autolamp relay, not a headlight high/low relay.

Does your 1989 have autolamps?

RwP

No the 89 does not have auto lights, the 90 does.
Maybe the cars that do not have auto lights do not have the relay, not sure.
That autozone component is not the one.

http://s222.photobucket.com/user/cougarxr7SC/library/Relay info
password is:cougarxr7

That is a link to 3 images. One has an engine bay and dash, look at the bottom and you should see it say,
"Hi-Low beam relay"
The wiring image, look to the right side by the letter C, you should see the wiring for the relay.
The last image is the component location, count down to the 11 one.
Let me know if you have any problems.
I will continue to troubleshoot this and will update post.
Thanks for your help!

Yah, that's off the auto dimmer.

If your 1989 doesn't have an auto dimmer, that's not there.

(That may explain why I don't have it on my 1991 EVTM, nor on the 1994+ EVTMs ... )

So, that's not your problem.

You get to go back to the headlamp switch and the MFS on the 1989, due to no relays in the headlight circuit.

Again, after you find your problem and fix it, I'd add a relay harness to your car to take the current off the two switches.

RwP

I am going to change the MFS today and hopefully that fixes this problem.
I plan on putting a relay in this circuit soon, one that lets the low bean stay on with the high beam are turned on!!
Thanks for you help!

Back