Fuel smell (permiation) from stainless braided rubber fuel lines

davec73

SCCoA Member
I don't know if anyone else who has upgraded there fuel lines to -8AN fuel line has experienced this but I had an extremely strong fuel odor that was causing the interior of my car to smell like fuel when I would leave the windows up for any period of time. After doing some research several guys have had a problem with this. The rubber AN fuel line is supposed to be fuel resistant but my experience was completely different. I replaced all of my line with summit racings -8AN ptfe fuel line and fittings and the issue seems to be gone. I can no longer smell fuel around the car anywhere and I have rolled the windows up so I can test it out in the morning. The ptfe line also has a smaller OD and is easier to mount under the car, just thought I would share in the event anyone else is having this problem.

David

The braided line that is not ptfe smells like crazy. The push lock hose does not(it is thicker). So that is a little cheaper alternative to ptfe but pushing the hose on is tough.

The braided line that is not ptfe smells like crazy. The push lock hose does not(it is thicker). So that is a little cheaper alternative to ptfe but pushing the hose on is tough.

I used the push loc hoses/fitting on my fuel system upgrade and you right.......they're a pain in the azz to get on, especially the last 1/4".......:(

Fuel smell is GONE!

I took the car out and drove it about 200 miles today and with the PTFE braided line the fuel smell is no more.

Did you get it tuned yet ?

No its not tuned as of yet but I got a base tune from Dalke so I can take the car out and put some miles on it. I drove it prob 240 miles today and everything went really well. The acts were 10 deg above ambient temp and the car just generally ran up and down the road very well with 0 issues. I plan to head up to Madison the last week of July to get it tuned. I am having a 3.25 pulley made for the AR after I get back from duquoin but I have to remove the pulley I have to send it to south florida pulley so he has it to make sure they are apples for apples. All I really have to do now is get it detailed and glazed for duquoin! Oh and I charged the AC today so I can ride in cool comfort again lol.

Why not just change the jackshaft pulley instead of the blower pulley? Any machine shop should be able to make a pulley, there is nothing real intricate on the machining process.

Why not just change the jackshaft pulley instead of the blower pulley? Any machine shop should be able to make a pulley, there is nothing real intricate on the machining process.

I am running 10% off the crank ryan the jackshaft is stock it seems as though the blower pulley is the best option.

Then take the crank pulley off and use the jackshaft to interchange for boost. In the long run it will be much easier to adjust then changing blower pullies, and will probably be cheaper to do.

I also have stainless braided lines and my interior smells like a gas pump. If I use the car, it stinks the garage up for a week - so strong that it creeps into the laundry room and stinks all our clothes up with gas smell. So naturally, I don't drive the car anymore.

I also have stainless braided lines and my interior smells like a gas pump. If I use the car, it stinks the garage up for a week - so strong that it creeps into the laundry room and stinks all our clothes up with gas smell. So naturally, I don't drive the car anymore.

I changed just the lengths of line and fittings to summits ptfe and the smell is gone micah.

Then take the crank pulley off and use the jackshaft to interchange for boost. In the long run it will be much easier to adjust then changing blower pullies, and will probably be cheaper to do.
Honestly ryan ive got the right belt on now and im prob going to leave it be. I know where I can get a stock size aluminum crank pulley now that you mentioned it the jackshaft would be much easier to change if I have too.

I heard that was the source so it's nice that you confirmed it. What is odd though is if you put your nose to the lines under the car, they don't smell bad.

I heard that was the source so it's nice that you confirmed it. What is odd though is if you put your nose to the lines under the car, they don't smell bad.

If you hold the fuel line in you hand and pull it away it will smell like gas. I bought the fuel line and fittings from summit for 120 but if I had known what I know now it would have cost less. You only need ten ft of line and 4 standard fittings. Its very easy!

Back