93 Octane Sprinkler (AKA Fuel Leak)

S_Mazza

Hello all,

I have been a bit stressed out lately dealing with some ABS issues. The whole story is too long to relate here, but suffice it to say that, after pulling and installing the ABS unit for the third time :mad:, I got the unit back on line and working fine. As I bled the brakes, I realized that the battery was just about exhausted from sitting for a while without running, from running the ABS pump, underhood light, etc. I jumpstarted the car and let the engine idle while I bled the brakes. Well, as I walked around to bleed the last corner, I saw a large puddle forming under the passenger side of the car. I knew that the front right bleeder was closed, so I got worried right away. Then I smelled gas. I ducked down and looked under the car and saw a fine mist of high-test spraying out of the fuel supply line, right where it makes the bend to climb up into the engine bay. CRUD! I ran over and shut the car off and looked back under the car to figure out what had happened.

Well, the plastic line had a 1" split along its length, on each side. It looked almost as if it had been crushed, though I don't think it could have been, considering that there is a protective shield right there. It split just before the shield, which sits right at the lower edge of the firewall.

This was very frustrating for me, and a bit embarrassing, as it all took place in front of my father-in-law, in whose driveway the car happened to be sitting at the time. :)

Anyway, I think I will replace the fuel line in kind, with the OEM-type plastic hose. I guess I will need this gizmo from Dorman to do the best job of it. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-800-301

I could use a little advice, however. I know that there are chrome o-ring fittings to the rail ends. The line side fittings are male. The plastic hose goes on the end of each o-ring fitting, then down to the shield/guide, turns back along the frame rail, and goes to the fuel filter. (Or, if referring to the return or vent line, it goes back to the tank.) At the fuel filter is a plastic quick connect fitting.

I found the following picture showing the upper end of each line. It looks like there is a rubber cover over the plastic. Maybe it's just a bit of hose over top of the plastic for abrasion and heat protection? Does anyone know exactly what type that is and how far down it goes?

attachment.php

Does anyone know offhand how the line is routed? Does it duck inside the inner fender for a bit and then pop back out? I didn't have time to investigate this too much yesterday, as it was getting dark. Maybe my best bet is to tape the new line to the bottom end of the broken line and pull it up into the engine bay?

Another thing - Does anyone know the proper o-ring size for the fuel rail end? I believe they are brown Viton.

I believe the plastic fuel hose size for the feed is 5/16"? Does anyone know for sure?

Thanks in advance, gents.

Steve it's Angelo, That does not look like the ABS unit I sent you, you have not changed it yet ??

As far as your fuel leak goes just splice some high pressure fuel hose in there and double clamp at both ends, you'll be fine. I have seen this done on many a car through my hands. :)

Steve it's Angelo, That does not look like the ABS unit I sent you, you have not changed it yet ??

As far as your fuel leak goes just splice some high pressure fuel hose in there and double clamp at both ends, you'll be fine. I have seen this dome on many a car through my hands. :)

Hi Angelo.

Thanks for asking. That's not my engine bay, just a pic I found showing the top ends of the fuel hoses. I found a couple others that seem to show the line routing a little better.

I got the ABS unit in and it's working fine. Thanks!

I am thinking of just splicing the hose, but it's very close to the bend and I am not sure how well the splice will work there. So I am still considering options.

Do you happen to know if the 5/16" nylon lines are the correct ones? I am not with the car to check it right now, but I want to get parts ordered soon.

Steve

Hi Angelo.

Thanks for asking. That's not my engine bay, just a pic I found showing the top ends of the fuel hoses. I found a couple others that seem to show the line routing a little better.

I got the ABS unit in and it's working fine. Thanks!

I am thinking of just splicing the hose, but it's very close to the bend and I am not sure how well the splice will work there. So I am still considering options.

Do you happen to know if the 5/16" nylon lines are the correct ones? I am not with the car to check it right now, but I want to get parts ordered soon.

Steve

Steve first off glad to hear your happy with the ABS unit.
Back to the fuel lines now.

The steel connectors that go to the fuel rail appear to be 1/4 OD.
Since the plastic line is sheated with the rubber 5/16 sounds rite.
Just measured the 92, I think they are all the same.
Angelo

You might check your local parts store, I borrow/rent the tool you linked to from our local Federated store, and have replaced/repaired several cars lines with it. They also sell the lines and fittings. I would NOT however trust the "just use a couple hose clamps" as recommended above. Hose clamps and 60+psi of fuel pressure are not a good combo.

Adam

Back