Orifice Tube Location?

OffRoadRanger00

I have gone through my AC system and put new O-rings and retrofit fittings on it so it could be charged with 134. IM having trouble finding the orifice tube because i was told it should be replaced before charging. I've looked everywhere for it and unless its built into the smaller of the 2 lines or has ben removed completely (in that case, i need to know where to put the new one) and all the info i research is sketchy and has been no help. Any response tonight would be great cause its scheduled to go in tommrow. Thanks in advance!

I found my info. Im not gonna get a new line just take the old one off and clean it real good. its just getting a recharge so no damage was done by an exploded compressor.

I'll second the "Replace it anyway".

I keep a spare at my house for this guy we all love to hate, Mrs. Case's son Justin :p:p

There's an orifice tube repair kit that can be used to section out the orifice tube and replace it - RockAuto lists it for about $20.

OTOH, for my 1991, the hose with the orifice tube can be had for about the same in Four Seizin's, less in GPD. Since the tube itself is so darn cheap for basic ones ( 87 cents for a pack of ten??? ) long term the first may be more economic, but due to age, and how quickly I can swap that hose now, I've opted for the complete hose assembly.

YMMV of course.

(Future readers - the prices are as of June 2014. Due to inflation, the price may vary in the future, as well as availability.)

RwP

I found my info. Im not gonna get a new line just take the old one off and clean it real good. its just getting a recharge so no damage was done by an exploded compressor.

I just did a complete rebuild of my A/C system. The liquid line with the orifice tube build in ( http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=818385&cc=1198672) was the cheapest part. Same price that you would pay for the kit but non of the hassle.
I understand you might not have time to order it, but I would still get the repair kit at the minimum.

" clean it real good" by that, I assume you mean flushing it with proper tools and products along with the rest of the system. You still have no way to check if the orifice tube is operating correctly or even cleaned. Taking the risk to compromise the entire system over a $ 20 part does not seem to be a good idea.

Getting the A/C system back together is easy, getting it to work properly will take a little more work. It is not that hard just need to follow the advise of your fellow board members.

I have messed/screwed with the A/C lines over the years and I would say you can risk it by back flushing the liquid line.. but they're cheap enough that IMO its just not worth it to save $25.

Another alternative is to cut the line and slice in a new Otube with an Otube capture fitting. (Ive done this too) Again, unless you are planning to mess with varying otubes.. its probably not worth the trouble. :D

Can you describe "exploded compressor" ?? If you are talking about it internally failing it usually blows a ton of aluminum particles into the whole system and cleaning the orfice tube is the least of your worries. Back flushing all the aluminum that's bound up in the compressor oil in the low spots of the lines, condenser and evaporator is your main concern plus if it was the compressor that shelled out you should install an in line filter in the system to protect the new compressor.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...nd-Parts/A-C-Suction-Line-Filter-Kit/_/N-26ff

You can just replace the orifice tube if you don't want to replace the whole line. Most auto parts stores has a kit available. Check any auto parts store or go to Rock Auto.

Back