Car cuts out while driving

philstad28

My SC has been having a problem recently :(. Sometimes when im driving the car will just cut out for a brief second and then come back like nothing happened. It does it the most often at about 2500rpms on the highway. Could this be a fuel pump issue? My fuel gauge hasnt worked in a while and im getting closer to 100k miles on the stock pump. I also know i need o2 sensors but im changing those this weekend. Any advice would be helpful :).

Thanks, Phil

I just put a good cam sensor in last weekend so i dont think it could be that. It also dies sometimes when i am in idle and make a sharp turn like into a parking spot

car cuts out

Mine would flat out die and wouldn't restart for 10 to 30 minutes. It ended up being the crank sensor (trigger) easily replaced. Hope this helps you out

Mine would flat out die and wouldn't restart for 10 to 30 minutes. It ended up being the crank sensor (trigger) easily replaced. Hope this helps you out
Thats the thing to be looking at. A cam sensor issue usually results in some sort of rough/bad running. A crank sensor problem will cause the engine to stop. It could possibly be a DIS/ICM problem.. My suggestion is to pull codes.

Also, don't forget to check obvious electrical stuff like ground straps, battery posts, alternator connections, etc.

Try jiggling the key and see if you can recreate it. Could be a failing ignition switch.

I put new o2 sensors in a few weeks ago and it hasnt done it since then so im thinking that was the problem. Thanks for the advice from everyone :)

Mine is doing this and I have been swapping parts.
O2 sensors didn't solve mine...

Will look at crank sensor.

A bad crank sensor can cause all sorts of problems so its good to change it. My brothers sc wouldnt run and it was because the harmonic balancer broke and kept breaking the tab off of the crank sensor. It took 3 crank sensors to figure out the problem :rolleyes: lol

I encountered the same problem before and it turns out one of the wires on my intercooler fan had a worn a bare spot and would short on something metal randomly.

Similar issues for me like Derek said, suddenly dies, wait 10 minutes away it went. Left me dead on the 401 in Toronto and had to have it towed, crank sensor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

on mine it was fuel pump mostly after you run an hour or two and cruising down the interstate it would act like you ran out of gas wait 5 min and it would run fine for another hour or 2 . and one time it was positive battery terminal touching the hood on hard left turns

Back