U-joint size for stock SC drive shaft... 1330 or 1350 series ?

David Neibert

SCCoA Admin
Can anyone confirm what size ujoint the stock SC drive shaft uses ? According to Autozone it has a 1330 series with 1-1/16" diameter bearing caps. I believe my aluminum drive shaft was built using 1350 series u-joint that has 1-3/16" caps, so I don't think I'll be able to use the stock yoke to replace the one I have.

David

Do you have a 4R70W yoke on your driveshaft? My Dynotech was built with one, and required chaning the tailshaft housing to accomodate the yoke diameter difference.

I just went home and jacked the car up to measure it. The aluminum driveshafts from the TCCoA group buy way back around 2003 that were made by Precision Shaft Technologies were made using the standard size 1330 u-joints and yokes with 1-1/16" bearing caps. So stock replacement u-joints and yoke will work.

The reason I was asking, is because I'm trailering the car to OH tomorrow to install a reworked tailhousing with a new bushing and bushing lube mod at Alan's shop. The current yoke fits sloppy and has what looks like a burnt spot on the seal surface, so we will be installing another yoke and new u-joint at the same time. Just didn't want to get held up looking for a special 1350 to 1330 u-joint. Pretty sure this is where my dash and rearview mirror vibrations at speeds above 75 mph are coming from.

David

Do you have a 4R70W yoke on your driveshaft? My Dynotech was built with one, and required chaning the tailshaft housing to accomodate the yoke diameter difference.

I do on my built to the max AOD in my 93 SC, but my 91 SC is still using a stock AOD yoke. Was going to upgrade to the 4R70W tailshaft housing and yoke, but Alan didn't have the parts available to do it this weekend.

David

Back