Tire Options

black V8

I need new tires for a Bird I just purchased. I'm thinking of going with BFG G Force Sport Comp 2s. This car is going to be a Summer driver only and I want it to feel responsive.Is not going to be raced but will be put through its paces from time to time.
It has 255 50zr 16s on it at the moment, I'm thinking of staying with that size or maybe staggering them with a 245 50 16 on the front. Anyone running these tires/sizes at all? What are your feelings on them?
Not interested at the moment in changeing rims so these will be going on stock rims. I know there is some sidewall bulge but visually that doesn't bother me.
Thanks in advance Tom

I've run 245/50/16s on a couple of SCs, don't remember the exact tires, but they were summer only type tires with somewhere around 300 treadwear. Basically handling was noticably improved with them compared to stock, and the car drove great, but since the tires are shorter, it looked kind of goofy with a huge fender gap, even on a lowered car. I never ran the 255/50s, but that would probably improve the fender gap issue, but if a tire is too wide for the rim, it will actually hurt the handling of the car, so maybe look for someone who has run those for some feedback.

A 255/50/16 tire will have a 26" diameter while a 245/50/16 tire will have a 25.64" diameter. Seems like I read somewhere that having different diameter tires on ABS equipped vehicles will screw with the ABS system and that's almost a half inch difference. I could be wrong though. Do some research before you go that route. Now that I think about it that may have been traction assist systems. What year is the car?

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback guys. The car is an 89 stick. I understand a couple of manufacturers used to make a 245 55 16 that fit nicely but it appears they are no longer available.

I've been running the bfg g force comp 2 since they came out 2 yrs ago. Running 255 50 16 on my 90SC. No problems and like them alot. At 60 mph the speedo is 3 mph fast. Other then that they are great. No probs with abs.

Yeah. Thear was a 245 55 16. Because I do have that size on my 91 right now. I keep looking every once in awhile until I get the new rims.

I think I've narrowed it down to either the BFG Sport Comp 2s in a 255 50 16 or the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S in stock size. I know the BFGs have loads of grip but do you think the big rubber in the front may make it feel a little less nimble?

Thanks Tom

No, quite the opposite. More grip means faster turn-in and better cornering, so the car will feel more nimble. I have the stock size Michelin pilot sports on my SC right now, and while they aren't a bad ride, the car doesn't handle anywhere near as well as it did with the 245/50/16 Toyo proxes that were on it before. Only reason I am running them is they were free, and they will hold me over until I do the hub swap and convert to 17" wheels.

I agree with the better feel with the 255 50 16 then the 225 60 16 Michelins as sports on the fronts. BFGs are way sticker and do turn in great. The Michelins compared to the gpodyear gator vrs is like comparing the Michelins to the BFGs. Good years wore out fast and always were sliding, Michelins were much better, BFGs are better yet especially when staying with 16s. Not alot to choose from in high per tires in our size anymore

Well I decided to go with the BFGs, 255 50 16. Getting them mounted today and can't wait to enjoy the weekend. Thanks for the advice guys.
Cheers Tom

On nose-heavy cars like these, using narrower front tires than rear tires doesn't make much sense. We've got ~58 percent of the car's weight over the front tires--to make the car turn, you need as much tire up there as you can get. Non-square tire setups are almost* exclusively for looks, not performance.

Now with that said, there does come a point at which shoving too much tire onto not enough wheel pinches the tire's shape and actually reduces grip.

*exceptions for drag strip use, and cars with more weight in back than in front.

On nose-heavy cars like these, using narrower front tires than rear tires doesn't make much sense. We've got ~58 percent of the car's weight over the front tires--to make the car turn, you need as much tire up there as you can get. Non-square tire setups are almost* exclusively for looks, not performance.

Now with that said, there does come a point at which shoving too much tire onto not enough wheel pinches the tire's shape and actually reduces grip.

*exceptions for drag strip use, and cars with more weight in back than in front.

While you're here (and without meaning to steal the thread) what tire would you recommend if I want something more for handling than flat out speed? I think anything I buy will be fine around town and on the highway so I'm not really worried about that. I have the 245-45/18 on it now but am close to needing new tires and I am thinking about getting something that handles better than the 555's that are on the care now. Any suggestions??

Ira

While you're here (and without meaning to steal the thread) what tire would you recommend if I want something more for handling than flat out speed? I think anything I buy will be fine around town and on the highway so I'm not really worried about that. I have the 245-45/18 on it now but am close to needing new tires and I am thinking about getting something that handles better than the 555's that are on the care now. Any suggestions??

Ira

Looks as if most of the top-tier tires are skipping that size for whatever reason. If you want to try something else in the same size, I've heard good things about the Continental Extreme Contact DW, though I can't say if it's any better than the Nitto. The Michelin Pilot Super Sport is an older design but was considered very good when new.

If you'd be open to another size, the Hankook RS3 V2 is a fantastic tire and comes in 265/40-18, which is only .2" shorter than your current size. I don't think I'd put it on a wheel less than 9" wide, though.

Looks as if most of the top-tier tires are skipping that size for whatever reason. If you want to try something else in the same size, I've heard good things about the Continental Extreme Contact DW, though I can't say if it's any better than the Nitto. The Michelin Pilot Super Sport is an older design but was considered very good when new.

If you'd be open to another size, the Hankook RS3 V2 is a fantastic tire and comes in 265/40-18, which is only .2" shorter than your current size. I don't think I'd put it on a wheel less than 9" wide, though.

I am certainly open to a different size. This is just what I am running now. I will have to check the wheel width though. Now sure what it is offhand. They're the FR500 Ford Wheels.

Aren't these a little too much of a summer racing type of tire though?

Ira

Last edited:
I am certainly open to a different size. This is just what I am running now. I will have to check the wheel width though. Now sure what it is offhand. They're the FR500 Ford Wheels.

Aren't these a little too much of a summer racing type of tire though?

Ira

Well, you said you wanted something more for handling. But yeah, the Hankooks are definitely designed for ultimate dry grip. The Continentals I mentioned would be a good dry/wet tire.

265s would be fine on an 18x9, I'm sure. I can't imagine the FR500 is any narrower than that.

Back