swapping a sc motor into a 60s van

F

falconvan

I own a 64 econoline and am very much considering putting an sc motor and trans into it, does the sc have a body control.modul and such as tonwhere I'd need to be using the cluster from the bird to make the engine run or is it more like a 5.0 where I wire it and let it fly I wanna know before buying the donor car, any help is welcome

As far as I know there are the following control modules/wiring items if you do a swap.

IRCM, located behind the passenger side headlight
EEC Module located under the dash on the passenger side
Main fuse box mounted on a holder on the battery tray.

There are other site users who will have quite a bit more knowledge doing these kinds of swaps. This is just to give you an idea of whats going on.

Sounds like a cool project.:D

I own a 64 econoline and am very much considering putting an sc motor and trans into it, does the sc have a body control.modul and such as tonwhere I'd need to be using the cluster from the bird to make the engine run or is it more like a 5.0 where I wire it and let it fly I wanna know before buying the donor car, any help is welcome

You don't have to match the EEC to the cluster or to any special control module. The only exception is that the IRCM does have to match the year (within limits) because the components inside actually changed from year to year, so the EEC inputs would not work on it the same way.

If you insist on abusing yourself in this manner :p, You need to do a search for jclars and his "angrybird". He put the ENTIRE deal in a 56 ford p-up.

He did an awesome job, but had MANY struggles along the way. I would recommend you look at what he did/went thru before tearing into a project like you r thinking.

Adam

HAHA - Adam - abuse indeed. But thanks for the compliments!

And when it comes time to fit the front buckets on a elevated support stand, you can prolong the abuse as I did this week! The seats bolted into nice little preformed pockets on the dang floor of the T-bird. I think everyone of the support points is at different elevations! But I have a design in hand to pass along when you get to that point!

But it is all doable! And rewarding when done. Those engines propel these old vehicles quite nicely...(understatement for sure).

John L.

Yeah, John, I've got just the seats with the headrests removed in my '49 F1. I ended up cutting the brackets off and welding tabs onto the adjusters and building a frame out of 1" square tube to raise them to correct position. The up side is it gives you a nice "box" frame for either under seat storage, or a hell of a stereo install!

Keep on truckin'

Adam

Ditto with the 1" tube frame. My seats are tilted back based on the stock anchor points. Still able to position straight if desired, but it allows the seat (also w/o head rests) to slip just under the rear window brace, gaining about 1" of legroom. Very comfy seats.

I think we may have scared falconvan and gone off topic at the same time.

John L.

Back