Cooling fan not going on :( Help!

philstad28

Ok so yesterday I went to do the #14 wire cut trick on the ICRM because I noticed my car would run too hot in traffic. I cut the wire and then wired in a switch under the dash and went to try it out. I flipped the switch on and off and no fan :eek:. I can hear something click when i flip the switch but the fan doesnt want to come on at all. I ran 12v to the fan motor and it started to turn. What could be causing the fan to not work? Could it be the ICRM, a short, a fuse? Idk what to do right now. The car is a 94 so it has a hi and low speed fan. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Phil

On a few of my '94s I've had an underhood fuse burn up and melt for the fans to fail...others have had the same one let go. Think its a 60amp fuse for low speed...been a while since thats happened.

Also The Temp Sensor on the front corner of the intake manifold can cause the fans not to work also.

Just some thoughts.

-Tim

cooling fan

check the temp control on the t-stat.u may need an icrm, theres a few relays in it,

Are the relays just in the fuse box? is there anything to plug or unplug to get the fans to go on all the time? If the wire is cut could it still be the icrm? And would an icrm from a 92 sc fit on mine? My brother has a 92 and if it would work i could test it and see if it is the problem. Kind of a lot of questions i just asked :rolleyes: lol

Also i forgot to mention that my ac doesnt work and the fan didnt come on even with the a/c on. I disconnected what i thought was the ecm (tube on intake manifold with sensor on it) hoping the fan would turn on and it didnt. Does this mean its a fuse or wiring issue?

Also i forgot to mention that my ac doesnt work and the fan didnt come on even with the a/c on. I disconnected what i thought was the ecm (tube on intake manifold with sensor on it) hoping the fan would turn on and it didnt. Does this mean its a fuse or wiring issue?

Unplug the coolant temp sensor on the intake manifold, passenger side by the oil fill hole...Fan will run on high when the car is started. Also may cause a hard start.

-Tim

Is that the one on the tube or is that another one?

Attached a picture with the general location I am talking about. It has the heater hose going into it and has a sensor on the top..

-Tim

Attachments

• garage_attachment.jpg
    garage_attachment.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 131
Did you check the fusible link at the solenoid? That is where it acquires 12v, I had a '90 that burned in two at the link. My buddy found it just by chance while I was installing another engine.

I have the ICRM so i could switch it at wire 14 and either way i switched it the fan didnt come on. How do i check the fusible link? Where exactly is it at and what does it look like?

I just noticed by Tim's photo your working on a '94. I don't see the solenoid in that photo, my apologies! I was working on a '90 and it is located on the drivers side fenderwell behind the fuse box/battery. I do not own a 94/95 so I am not sure where/if they have that same solenoid. If they do and you find it, the link looks like a thick black wire and is on the powered side of the solenoid.

Its all good thanks for responding :). Ill check to see if there is anything that could be a fusable link. What fuse would control the fan?

On the early models there is no fuse for the 12v lead to the IRCM, it is protected by that fusible link at the solenoid. I just checked my '90 and the fusible is actually a dark blue color but was so dirty it looked black.

I unplugged the one sensor again and both fans started to run so I think it might be the icrm. Any other things it could be?

Since the fans run with the ECA unplugged, i'd venture to say it is the IRCM. Make sure to replace it with the same code that is marked on yours.

Ok that's what I was afraid of. How expensive are they and are they available new? Im just going to mcgeiver the fan so it turns on with a switch until I could get a new ircm :rolleyes: lol

icrms

u might get new from a good auto parts store,(rockauto maybe). they aren't cheap. ford dealers .........long shot. im sure some of the users here have 1 they can sell( including myself) .I have the get the code on front of the module to match urs.

Back