Head Gaskets

T-Bird SC

My T-Bird is a '95 with 159,000 miles on it. Yesterday I started the car in the garage and let it run, since it has been sitting for about a week. After about 10 minutes of it running (mostly idling with a few revs to about 3500RPM) I got out and looked at the tailpipes. It was steaming a very little bit. I smelled it, and it smelled on the sweet side. I then shut the car off and went inside with the dreaded though in my head of blown HG's.

After a crappy night of sleep and a long day of work, I went home and started my beloved SC. Like always, it fired up without problem. I immediately watched the tailpipes, to notice steam. Not much, but there was a little bit. The car hadn't hit operating temp yet, but I went and revved and held it at about 2500RPM. There was significantly more steam (still not a whole lot). After letting the car hit operating temperature, I got out and looked at the tailpipes. There really seemed to be less steam that before, but it was still there.

I know the HG's are not too terribly blown, but I am thinking more like a hair line/microscopic crack. What do u guys think? Do you agree with my hypothesis?

Does this seem like a good gasket set? http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...=Search_02290_1140578_2502&pt=02290&ppt=C0026

Thanks for your time!

Any loss of coolant from the system/overflow tank?

Any oil in the coolant?

Any sign of coolant on the dip stick?

Any chance it's just condensate that built up in the exhaust system while sitting? What's the weather been like there?

I really doubt its condensation cause it just sits inside the garage all day and night, and its been very sunny and warm lately.

For the other questions:

Yes (yesterday there was a loss in coolant. Today I noticed a crack in the radiator, and there was a loss in coolant. The crack may have been there yesterday though, causing a coolant loss)

no

havent noticed anything, but maybe

Condensation comes from humidity. So when your motor is running its also making steam. so unless you live in a dry arid enviroment or have an air conditioned garage i vote condensation. take it out for a drive and that may tell you something. or do a leak down test or with a 150k it may just be time.

Last edited:
Condensation comes from humidity. So when your motor is running its also making steam. so unless you live in a dry arid enviroment or have an air conditioned garage i vote condensation. take it out for a drive and that may tell you something. or do a leak down test or with a 150k it may just be time.

Yeah, I think I am just going to do them. I'm not depending on this car yet as my daily, so I would rather replace the HG's before I depend on this car.

Thanks!

haha yah i am. I went ahead and i am replacing he HG's. It will make me stop expecting/anticipating a failure. I have already done my engine mounts so thats off my list too. And I have a fresh tranny that the prevous owner had rebuilt... I think after the HG's I will have all the T-Bird weak spots taken care of.

Back