Victor HS5816A Gasket Set

T-Bird SC

What my real question is, is the 3.8L N/A Engine head gasket compatible with our SC 3.8's?

This is apparently compatible with both our SC's and the regular 3.8 T-Birds.

Thanks!

I'd go Felpro, and if you're doing a build and can properly prep the heads/block consider MLS.

Tried eBay & Amazon?

Autozone ships to home in some cases.

Are you sure it needs head gaskets....

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong on this. But I am pretty sure it is what I found when doing some digging on the subject.

There was a local eBay seller that sells new old stock/clearance automotive items. They had a victor Reinz complete set including head bolts for around a $100. Being on a tight budget I snagged it. In digging to find out what head gasket was in the kit and if it would work for me I found that the part numbers have changed over the years. The opposite of what you are thinking has actually happened. The t bird gaskets have become the stock replacement gaskets. Which IIRC is a graphite gasket. The more expensive kits go to newer gasket technology/mls. Therefore find out what gasket is in that kit and cross reference it to see what the gasket really is. Again IIRC Victor Reinz is making only graphite gaskets for the Essex 3.8 in any form. Which would be the "factory" gasket on the SC 3.8.

As much as I also prefer Fel Pro over anything else sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong on this. But I am pretty sure it is what I found when doing some digging on the subject.

There was a local eBay seller that sells new old stock/clearance automotive items. They had a victor Reinz complete set including head bolts for around a $100. Being on a tight budget I snagged it. In digging to find out what head gasket was in the kit and if it would work for me I found that the part numbers have changed over the years. The opposite of what you are thinking has actually happened. The t bird gaskets have become the stock replacement gaskets. Which IIRC is a graphite gasket. The more expensive kits go to newer gasket technology/mls. Therefore find out what gasket is in that kit and cross reference it to see what the gasket really is. Again IIRC Victor Reinz is making only graphite gaskets for the Essex 3.8 in any form. Which would be the "factory" gasket on the SC 3.8.

As much as I also prefer Fel Pro over anything else sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

Okay, that makes sense. So in conclusion, they work its just that they aren't the long lasting high mileage gaskets that people often strive for in these cars?

Tried eBay & Amazon?

Autozone ships to home in some cases.

Are you sure it needs head gaskets....

There is a pretty strong likely hood that it does not. Im replacing them cause the car is in the garage, having other work done to it before I make it my daily driver again. Minus well replace the HG's while I have another car available before I loose the HG's and dont have another car on hand.

The only differences I could find was in material. All bolt and steam holes lined up for me without an issue. It isn't a matter of how long they will last. It is a matter of how good is your tune and right foot from keeping it out of detonation. The better gasket will be more forgiving before it lets go. Which to some people is a better option. Having the gasket as the short fuse can save something else more costly becoming the cause of engine failure. If it is relatively stock and not driven hard there should be little concern.

What parts store are you using where they can't get Felpro Gaskets? Must be a mom n pops location? I always thought the box stores AAP/AZ/OR/NAPA carried them...

-Tim

What parts store are you using where they can't get Felpro Gaskets? Must be a mom n pops location? I always thought the box stores AAP/AZ/OR/NAPA carried them...

-Tim

yah it is. its just a local parts store and shop. My dad called O'Reilly's out of town, and apparently they cant get them either.... bizzare i know.

The only differences I could find was in material. All bolt and steam holes lined up for me without an issue. It isn't a matter of how long they will last. It is a matter of how good is your tune and right foot from keeping it out of detonation. The better gasket will be more forgiving before it lets go. Which to some people is a better option. Having the gasket as the short fuse can save something else more costly becoming the cause of engine failure. If it is relatively stock and not driven hard there should be little concern.

Its just got a couple aftermarket mufflers on it. I don't drive it too hard, even though the pedal does meet the floor every once in a while. How many miles have you put on yours? I am going to probably put only 30,000 more miles on this engine, as it is not my original engine. Im going to do a top to bottom rebuild on my original engine before I drop it back in.

Hey check out what I found! Scroll down to see head gasket material... It says Nitroseal? http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/_/N-8znn4?itemIdentifier=135669_378013_15296_

local pricing came up at $99. Not bad, but as mentioned above I would not use anything but felpro or MLS. I'm sure you could have them from summit in 3-4 days even if you live WAY out in the sticks:p

Also be aware that the head bolts r 1 time use and will need to be replaced and r not included in the set you linked to.

Adam,

local pricing came up at $99. Not bad, but as mentioned above I would not use anything but felpro or MLS. I'm sure you could have them from summit in 3-4 days even if you live WAY out in the sticks:p

Also be aware that the head bolts r 1 time use and will need to be replaced and r not included in the set you linked to.

Adam,

Yes. Do u have a link to head bolts by any chance? And no Im not getting ARP's

Felpro head bolts: ES72131 (buy two kits to do both sides)

Okay, so I ordered the head bolts. Now, I found this torque spec/sequence. I believe this is for a '93. Will it still work for a '95? http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthr...ked-amp-Surfaced-Saturday&p=332793#post332793

So my other question:
(1) 50 Nm (37 ft. lbs.) = tighten all head bolts to 37 ft-ibs in sequence }
(2) 60 Nm (45 ft. lbs.) = then tighten all to 45 ft-ibs in sequence ect ect } is this right?
(3) 70 Nm (52 ft. lbs.)
(4) 80 Nm (59 ft. lbs.)

I only have about 2 miles on it. After I got it back together I found the water pump seeping. I put replacing it off till I had some of the other issues resolved. I should have it replaced along with the rack and pinion sometime this week. Then I need to get with Dave for a tune before I can put any serious miles on it. It has way more than just mufflers though and I don't drive my cars easily. The kit I got had head bolts with it. See if it is still available. Should be same part number with a -x ending.

Back