3.8 supercharged timing

89tbirdsc89

so i had a bad oil leak coming from the front cover and i had to removed the timing sensor. but i never marked where is was. just wondering if somebody has a pic or could get me a pic of how the cam sensor should look at TDC or if somebody could talk me though how to set it. would be great if someone could help me car has stock cam. i miss my car please HELP!!!!!!

Last edited:
Per fsm
Rotate engine to 26degrees ATDC on cylinder #1 compression stroke
Use the special tool to lock the synchronizer shaft to the body
Stab the synchronizer in the timing cover
Reinstall the clamp and tq to 20-29ftlbs
Remove special tool
Reinstall sensor

im just trying to do it by eye i don't have the tool wish i did. and what do u mean by 26* atdc so is that a little bit past the timing mark cause i dont have that plastic cover around my balancer.

so i got it to 26* atdc and set the cam sensor the car idle good but every time i gave it throttle the car back fired really loud. and i made sure my plug wires were in the right spot but now the car wont run. so maybe i will have to look at that web site and order the tool from that website. thank you for all your help.

so i got it to 26* atdc and set the cam sensor the car idle good but every time i gave it throttle the car back fired really loud. and i made sure my plug wires were in the right spot but now the car wont run. so maybe i will have to look at that web site and order the tool from that website. thank you for all your help.

26 degrees ATDC for the #1 cylinder?

You can verify if that is your problem by disconnecting the cam sensor completely. The car notices it isn't there so it tries to start without it. no more than 4 or 5 tries of "key on, try to start, key off" should be necessary to get it running. they drive it to see if you get the same behavior.

Back