Odd dash brake light question on my recently acquired 89 Cougar 5 speed.

arizona90

After installing a new battery and replacing the ignition key set, I seem to have a problem with the dash brake light not going out (not related to the hand brake). On one start up, run and shut down test, the light went out while running but came back on about 10 seconds later. Attempting to recreate the situation again did not happen. The light stays on as long as the battery is connected, with the key off. The brakes are very hard so I'm assuming its related to our special brake system. Any thoughts here? Anyone else run acrosss this on their own cars? I'm also assuming I will have to rebuild or replace the unit as I want the anti-lock system to work. The car has sat still here in Arizona for about 5 years. Marty

After installing a new battery and replacing the ignition key set, I seem to have a problem with the dash brake light not going out (not related to the hand brake). On one start up, run and shut down test, the light went out while running but came back on about 10 seconds later. Attempting to recreate the situation again did not happen. The light stays on as long as the battery is connected, with the key off. The brakes are very hard so I'm assuming its related to our special brake system. Any thoughts here? Anyone else run acrosss this on their own cars? I'm also assuming I will have to rebuild or replace the unit as I want the anti-lock system to work. The car has sat still here in Arizona for about 5 years. Marty

Have your brakes ever worked as far as you know? The brake light you are seeing isn't odd, it is indicating a problem with your brakes.

After installing a new battery and replacing the ignition key set..... The light stays on as long as the battery is connected, with the key off. Marty

That does seem odd, but if the brakes work ok otherwise, I'd take a look at the ABS relay over by the service connector behind the pass. side wheelwell. It should be the one that is warm/hot to the touch.

Why did you replace the switch/key cylinder?

Did you also check the multi-wire ignition switch down on the side of the steering column? It may well be the source of your grief.

Last edited:
Is it the correct ignition switch? New and unabused?

Im going to venture that you don't have brake assist.. e.g. a hard pedal.. BTW DON"T drive it like that.. I have and maintain Teves IIs in all my SCs and trust me on this.. you don't want it not working. ;) These cars do not slow down nicely w/o it. :eek:

Try rocking the key back and forth a bit and see if the pump kicks in as wear in the switch (specifically loosening of the switch body over time) is a common problem. :cool:

Odd dash brake light question on my 89 Cougar...

Thanks for the responses. I'm trying all your suggestions. Here are some answers to your questions.

The light is only yellow, not red. The fluid level is correct. As the car is a new acquisition, don't know how the brakes worked before, (do have a daily driver 90 SC so I know how they are supposed to work) and its been sitting for years. Haven't looked at the ABS relay yet but have checked the multi-wire ignition switch, disconnected it and the light stayed on, reconnected it as it didn't make any difference, its a new, supposedly correct, ignition switch. Will try rocking the key back and forth today and look at the ABS relay tody and let you know. Again, thanks for your prompt replys... Marty

Back