Balancer failure

1bad67cat

I finally had the HB fail. Bolt broke off, and balancer left the sleeve on the crank. wasn't broken off flush, but close. upon inspection, I believe a p.o. used a junkyard balancer (yellow paint pen mark inside the pulley, and bolt had rounded corners). I didn't want to have to take everything off, so I decided to drill length wise, and hope for it to split. Drilled about 3 holes and it worked. I'm afraid that I hit the crank, and left divots. not real deep. Wondering if that is going to be a serious issue. Also, what is right behind the balancer? I may have gone too deep on one hole. Hoping if I did, it isn't going to be an issue. :confused::confused:

just hoping all is usable. working with no budget, and have to replace balancer and bolt. at least it was at idle speed in a parking lot, so it didn't fly off and destroy anything.

I thimk if thats the timing gear all is ok. Can you see a timing mark on the same face that you drilled into? I would be more concerned with the machined surface of the crank snout and making sure the new damper fit properly.

It does look like you scarred the crank there. That might not be a big issue for structural strength (as long as no sharp edges), but it could leak oil at least. Were you going to replace the front seal anyway? If you take that out, you should have a little better view of what is going on.

At a minimum, I would put some RTV in that gouge before installing the HB.

no sharp edges. pretty sure that was the timing gear. went through it, but not into anything behind it. thought about replacing the seal. might as well since i'm in there anyway. just gonna be a ~~~~. as long as this crank will be usable, then i'll work on getting the bolt out. i'll be extra careful on that part.

I wouldnt run the car with, 1. Shavings created from drilling stuff behind the front seal and 2. you've weakened the timing gear.

However, if you choose to do so. I have a nice early model balancer for sale in the for sale section :D

i'm going to clean out all the shavings, and I'm going to go with a new Dorman HB. Should last me until tax season to get a bhj. also, anyone have a link to the part number for that seal?

Last edited:
If you went completely through the gear thats not good. Or more thanathird of the way . Remember how you made the damper hub crack. Just dont romp on it all the time. Unless you remove all the shavings as neverfastenough states it prolly wont run long enough to worry bout the hole in the gear. This kinda reminds me about how we would (lighten) cam gears on old harley motors. Just drill a bunch of holes in them, but never close to the center line like this. Any way good luck

I'd pull the sensor and hit that area with some Brake Clean...then reinstall the new balancer with some black RTV. I don't think you've hurt the structural integrity of any of the parts from what I can see. Also the seal should have prevented any shavings from going into the oil pan. Might not be a bad idea to change the oil just to be on the safe side of things.

Also any parts store should carry that seal on the shelf - I know its a stock item at all the AAP locations here in Roanoke...however this is also the HQ spot for AAP.

-Tim

***edit*** I now see a drilled hole in that gear...I would pull the front cover and fix it correctly. That breaks and you will just have a bigger more expensive problem on your hands.
***edit***

Last edited:
update

Got the broken balancer bolt out. easier than i thought it would be. Just deep enough for the ez out to barely bite, and came right out. As far as the rest of the tear down, up to the timing cover. Does the cam sensor assembly have to come out of the cover? This is the farthest I've been into one of these engines, and my Haynes manual went awol.

Back