PDA

View Full Version : Window Motor

Les Borda
07-10-2014, 06:33 PM
Ok how many degrees of stupid can one person get, go ahead ask ME!!!!!:mad:

I ordered a generic none Motorcraft window motor from rockauto, IDIOT looked at the clear out price of 18 bucks rather than 37.....it's a LEFT window motor I needed a RIGHT.

Anyone ever make a left work on the right side?

Anyone have a used right side one kicking around?

S_Mazza
07-10-2014, 06:39 PM
I don't think it works like that - the two are mirror images of each other and I don't think there is room inside the door to fit the opposite side motor. I could be wrong, though.

I don't have any spares kicking around as I have never needed to replace one of these motors.

Are you sure that your motor is shot? The plastic gear plugs that provide an anti-amputation and motor protection safety feature go bad with time. That's a common failure. What are your symptoms?

Les Borda
07-10-2014, 06:57 PM
I can hear the window motor but nothing happens, before when I had bad gears on a motor I could hear them grinding, this time all I hear is the motor running in either direction.

Thanks

PS I had a feeling you couldn't switch them but I had to ask.

S_Mazza
07-10-2014, 07:14 PM
If the motor runs, it's fine. The problem is either in the regulator, the drive gear, the driven gear, or the drive gear plugs. I would bet that it's the plugs.

I would take the door panel off and see what you have. Most local parts stores have those gear plugs now. If that's the problem, you should be able to get it fixed in one day.

Les Borda
07-10-2014, 08:15 PM
Do those delrin plugs sit behind the drive motor gear so it engages with the regulator gear?

Never removed a regulator, do you have to support the window so it doesn't come crashing down? I know you have to drill out the rivet head and pop the rivets out and replace them with small bolts with nylock nuts.

S_Mazza
07-10-2014, 08:29 PM
Do those delrin plugs sit behind the drive motor gear so it engages with the regulator gear?

Never removed a regulator, do you have to support the window so it doesn't come crashing down? I know you have to drill out the rivet head and pop the rivets out and replace them with small bolts with nylock nuts.

No, I'm pretty sure that to replace the motor, you don't need to take out the regulator. The motor just unbolts from it.

As for the gear, yes, that's basically right. Here's a pic of it. You can see the plugs peeking out from behind the metal gear. The large black plastic gear is driven by the motor's worm gear. Then it transfers torque through the plugs and to the metal gear. That meshes with the regulator sector gear.

Also, I guess that black plastic gear does sometimes wear out. (I think it's white, not black, in the OEM motor, not that it matters.) But they sell that in a package with the gear plugs ... at prices ranging from $9 to $22 (at RockAuto).

KMT
07-10-2014, 08:34 PM
This is one example of the repair when the issue is just the plugs:
http://www.eastcoastrollingthunder.com/smf/index.php?topic=1278.0

...just be sure that the center pivot post isn't worn/wobbly.

Why not just order the one you need and live large with new in both doors ;)

HoseHead
07-10-2014, 08:54 PM
I can hear the window motor but nothing happens, before when I had bad gears on a motor I could hear them grinding, this time all I hear is the motor running in either direction.

Thanks

PS I had a feeling you couldn't switch them but I had to ask.

Are you sure the plastic pivots glued to glass haven't let go?
I've repaired at least 4 of these. Automotive GOOP does the trick.

No , left and right assemblies are unique to each other. No swapping.

I have a few SC parts cars. Will check on the weekend for both units. Stand by.

Bruce

Les Borda
07-10-2014, 09:06 PM
Don't know yet guys what I will find until I get at it and have a look, the motor is relatively easy to remove and I have seen those kits with plugs and gear. Some of them are as much as complete motor that comes with new plugs and gears.

Thanks for your help folks

Bruce I hope it isn't glass if it is GOOP on the way :D

Like the "live large" idea order another motor and I'll have one for the left side if it goes.

black V8
07-11-2014, 11:11 AM
Les, I just bought the kit with gear and plugs last week at Carquest I believe, it was about $23.
Cheers Tom

Les Borda
07-11-2014, 02:41 PM
Thanks Tom Carquest is another place that doesn't even allow you to shop with a USA zip code.

black V8
07-13-2014, 01:56 PM
Les, I was under the impression you are in Ottawa. Just googled it, there is a Carquest on Startop Rd.
Cheers Tom

Les Borda
07-13-2014, 05:42 PM
Good GAWD there are 3 Carquests in Ottawa :o

Les Borda
07-15-2014, 06:45 PM
So today I got the window motor for the WRONG side((Doorman) LOL...but I took it apart and maybe can use the inner gears on the Motorcraft motor that is running just not moving anything.

KMT
07-15-2014, 06:54 PM
So now you have two motors for the wrong door?

Do you know what's wrong with the motor mechanism in the door where the window doesn't work?

If it's just the plugs, can't you just buy them?

Les Borda
07-15-2014, 07:21 PM
LOL no no ONE motor for the wrong side I ordered it from Rock Auto and it just got delivered today :D

Les Borda
07-15-2014, 07:25 PM
Once ! take the motor out I'll see what is what and hopefully can cannibalize the Doorman motor for the parts. If I can't I can get the plugs and gear right here in town.

The right window motor spins it just doesn't do anything.