Rattling Catalytic Converter Replacement

Jimmy 2Coupes

SCCoA Member
The passenger side cat on my 94 SC is rattling like crazy and it's not the heat shield's...I checked. Id like to replace the cat's with the same one's that are on it now which is whatever Rich Thomson used on the MN12 system's he used to sell. Does anyone know what Brand/Model converters Rich used on his exhaust systems? The down tubes are supposed to be 2 1/4” and there's not a whole lot of room down there. Does anyone have any recommendations? So far I've come up with three possibilities: Dynomax/Walker 15027, Magnaflow 53005, and Catco 6905. The Dynomax/Walker 15027 looks a lot like the cat's on the car now. Check out the links.
PS: why are GVW (lbs): numbers listed in catalytic converter spec's? Just wondering.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-15027

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mpe-53005

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cto-6905

Last edited:
Hey Jimmy!!

I think MN12 was Dynomax products but that's a long time ago for me, don't think it was Magnaflow or Borla.

Hey Jimmy!!

I think MN12 was Dynomax products but that's a long time ago for me, don't think it was Magnaflow or Borla.

What's up Les? I know Rich mated his down tubes up with a Magnaflow resonator and the Dynomax catback system but what cat's he used I don't know. I'm not dead set on the same cat's I was just wondering if anybody knew. I don't want to order something and find out later it won't work size wise. The cat's on there now are pretty short. I measured the length of the heat shields and there 9"s

What's up Les? I know Rich mated his down tubes up with a Magnaflow resonator and the Dynomax catback system but what cat's he used I don't know. I'm not dead set on the same cat's I was just wondering if anybody knew. I don't want to order something and find out later it won't work size wise. The cat's on there now are pretty short. I measured the length of the heat shields and there 9"s

Yea not much room Jimmy I know,when I had the XR7 I used some generic hi-flow cat from Midas because my friend was the manager and let me do all kinds of work in his shop. I think Magnaflow are the only ones that make a 2x2.25 in and 2x2.25 out so we can use those as a resonator because we have lack of space.

Good to hear from you Jimmy.

PS: why are GVW (lbs): numbers listed in catalytic converter spec's? Just wondering.

The Gross vehicle weight is listed on cat converters for some EPA reasons.
If I am not mistaken the GVR listed on the cat converter is supposed to match that of the car or truck it's being put on, by law on newer cars/trucks if a replacement is required.

Here in Florida we have no emissions testing so its almost a free for all for all cars/trucks over 10 years old.

The Gross vehicle weight is listed on cat converters for some EPA reasons.
If I am not mistaken the GVR listed on the cat converter is supposed to match that of the car or truck it's being put on, by law on newer cars/trucks if a replacement is required.
Here in Florida we have no emissions testing so its almost a free for all for all cars/trucks over 10 years old.

Thanks for the info...I figured it was something like that. We don't have any emissions testing here in Michigan ether so I'm not really concerned about it.

Back