PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Fun

Les Borda
07-12-2014, 02:55 PM
It seems like getting exhaust and exhaust work done in Ottawa is not going to be easy. Especially from manifold to cat.
Trying to do 2.25 or 2.5 from manifold to Magnalflow cats, it;s going to require custom bending.

SC Performance has a cat back system 2x2.25 to resonator, 3" out to 2x2.25, 700 bucks plus shipping and no idea who's res or mufflers or if the pipe is even stainless.

Just looking for suggestions and something that will NOT DRONE!

Thanks Guys

shoalcracker
07-12-2014, 05:09 PM
Les

Here's a start.

They probably need tweaking but good product.

http://www.mandrelexhaustsystems.com/servlet/the-319/89-dsh-95-THUNDERBIRD-3.8L-SC/Detail

Paul

shoalcracker
07-12-2014, 05:16 PM
Another piece of the puzzle.

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/bor-400286/overview/

Paul

Les Borda
07-12-2014, 10:14 PM
Nice stuff Paul thanks but I have a feeling Summit doesn't ship to Canada, I could be wrong.

I sent SC Perf Bill and email asking what resonator an mufflers are used on the cat back system he sells and how much for shipping, that could hurt.

I also spoke with Diane at SpinningWheels SC, they have custom made several systems from manifold all the way back using stainless pipe and Magnaflow cats, res and mufflers. Pack it up in easy to assemble sections with instructions.
I asked her for 2 quotes one using 2.25 to cat and a dual in dual out 2.25 Magnaflow resonator, muffler really and then two 2.25 pipes to the mufflers. The other I asked for is very similar only the resonator has 2x2.25 in and one 3" out, Y-pipe to 2x2.25 pipes to mufflers.
May go with 2.5 inch front to back but they 89-90 fuel tank does not give as much room as the 91-95 tanks.

My son keeps saying I hear true duals drone, uhhh NO, only when people decide to skip the resonator or an X pipe then they drone.

KMT
07-12-2014, 10:29 PM
Nice stuff Paul thanks but I have a feeling Summit doesn't ship to Canada, I could be wrong.

Summit ships international, including Canada. Details here: http://www.summitracing.com/expertadviceandnews/professoroverdrive/answer/618

That said, I'm sure Diane & Victor will do their best to help you out in any case.

dthompson
07-13-2014, 06:52 AM
the drone term is subjective and relative.

I have a completely custom exhaust, mid length headers, magnaflow high flow cats 2.5" to Magnaflow resonator, single 3" out around early style gas tank, then 3" split to cherry bomb vortex mufflers out the back. I dont think my car is that loud from the outside, but when you are driving it around 2000rpm, it gets loud in the cabin.

I think mine drones moderately loud and I have all the pieces that are supposed to reduce drone. I think the larger pipe sizes make it drone louder. The fewer restrictions, the louder the exhaust will be in general. Drone has a lot to do with where the exhaust resonates at. Your cruising speed/rpm versus the resonating frequency will make a difference on the perceived drone.

As far as recommendations go to reduce drone, I would keep some form of cats, I would go with smaller diameter pipes, I would use a resonator, and i would probably use some form of turbo muffler (i think these are supposed to be the quietest style). If you want to get crazy there is always the Helmholtz resonator that you could make, but Im guessing that is not an option if you cant get a custom exhaust made.

Good luck!

HoseHead
07-13-2014, 10:14 AM
Les,
Call Verne Hinton or Al Avery at Hinton Automotive - Off Carp Road by the OZ Dome.

http://www.hintonautomotive.com/

These guys can build anything for anything.
Last time I was there they were re-building a DeSoto straight 8.
They also have an engine room for out of car diagnostics/tuning.

Verne is my neighbour. Tell him I sent you.

Bruce

HoseHead
07-13-2014, 10:22 AM
The '93 I sold Al has a wicked drone around 2000 RPM under load. As a clutch car, you can shift around it.
But when you walk on it, the SC whine and the exhaust togehter are sweet music.
Has a very kewl burble at idle as well.

It has a dealer offered/installed Borla cat-back - single 2.5" dual port muffler and that's it. No other resonators or mufflers.
Custom down pipes and high perf cats at the manifolds - no OEM cat restrictions - that car can breathe.
Flies through E-testing every time.

Bruce

S_Mazza
07-13-2014, 10:44 PM
the drone term is subjective and relative.

I have a completely custom exhaust, mid length headers, magnaflow high flow cats 2.5" to Magnaflow resonator, single 3" out around early style gas tank, then 3" split to cherry bomb vortex mufflers out the back. I dont think my car is that loud from the outside, but when you are driving it around 2000rpm, it gets loud in the cabin.

I think mine drones moderately loud and I have all the pieces that are supposed to reduce drone. I think the larger pipe sizes make it drone louder. The fewer restrictions, the louder the exhaust will be in general. Drone has a lot to do with where the exhaust resonates at. Your cruising speed/rpm versus the resonating frequency will make a difference on the perceived drone.

As far as recommendations go to reduce drone, I would keep some form of cats, I would go with smaller diameter pipes, I would use a resonator, and i would probably use some form of turbo muffler (i think these are supposed to be the quietest style). If you want to get crazy there is always the Helmholtz resonator that you could make, but Im guessing that is not an option if you cant get a custom exhaust made.

Good luck!

I think the problem is that none of that stuff is made for a V6 car. Reflective-type mufflers and resonators for a V8 don't work right on a V6.

Properly built exhaust system will squash the resonance. The stock system did that quite well. However, it was also very quiet and restrictive.

It is possible to build a well-flowing exhaust that also just doesn't drone. It's just that nobody does it for this car.

Les Borda
07-17-2014, 07:09 PM
We dropped your name at Hinton's today and they told us to get out:eek:

No seriously we worked with Verne he took the bird in on the hoist and looked he hasn't worked on one for awhile. He is doing up a quote for my son including Kooks headers, he is a dealer for them.

Nice guys both Verne and Al

Verne is quoting on Kooks headers, 2.5 stainless pipe, 2 cats, 2x2.5 in and 2x2.5 out resonator, dual pipes back to 2.5 in mufflers, most likely Magnaflow products.