Ignition timing question

TonyD.

I have a quick question about my 1990 super coupes ignition timing. Sometimes at idle, it'll sound like it had a performance cam, even though its stock. Sometimes it idles completely normal. It runs and drives perfectly fine, doesn't miss a beat. The idle does t bother me so much, being that everything else is ok about it. I was playing with an adjustable timing light on it tonight, and I found that for the timing mark to be set on 0, I have to advance my light to 48 degrees btdc. Those of you who aren't familiar with the adjustable timing lights, the way it works is you set your desired timing on the light itself, then adjust the mark to 0. I know the dis system isn't adjustable but I wanted to check my base timing. It was on 48 btdc with the spout connectors out. did i do something wrong? How exactly do you check timing on a super coupe?

The timing is controlled by the ECU, as long as all the sensors are within spec your good there.
If you have strange idle at times remove the IAC located on the TB, clean it and reinstall it.
The IAC might be starting to go bad or a cleaning might do the trick.

Back