Ripper Shifter

black V8

I purchased a Ripper Shifter from another purchaser, never installed but it doesn't have any directions. I know it's fairly simple but a couple of questions. I took the console off and I assume you cut away a section of the factory rubber boot around the existing shifter to get at the bolts. Istall the shifter with supplied rubber boot,there is also a sort of stapled poly strap the same diameter as the lower portion of the boot,is this used or was it just to protect the boot from deforming or something? This is what I assume but just wanted to check as I don't want to take it apart again. I didn't get this with the original box so I'm not sure. I have the little bag with the boot spring clamp and 4 hex head bolts and washers plus the 2 allen key bolts for the shift lever. So I think it is complete.
Thanks in advance
Tom

No I never had to in R&R-ing several M5R2's I just wiggled jiggled the old boot down far enough to get at the bolts....the rest I have no clue, never installed a ripper.

Last edited:
Tom

You shouldn't have to cut into anything.

The metal plate with the boot can be a brute to get off the first time.

Peel back the carpet and keep working it.

It has a asphalt type adhesive for weather/soundproofing plus I think 3 or 4 bolts/screws.

Once it's off things will make sense.

I've been in and out a few times but not good at visualizing for someone else.

Paul

Sorry V8 I lead you astray I was sure you could take the extension handle off the shifter when dropping the tranny without removing the entire boot maybe I was out to lunch.You're changing the shifter so you have to access the top plate of the tranny.

No worries Les, all's good. Sounds like your sons car is coming along. If you were closer to Barrie I'd tell you to come out and look at my 90 Cougar I'm putting up for sale. Not pristine but a solid runner that just needs rear brakes sorted.

Cheers Tom

Back