Idler vs Tensioner pulley size

Les Borda

One is larger, 2 are smaller, no clue anymore which is called what. The Haynes manual is useless for this it shows nothing about idler or tensioner pulley.

I know Fast Ed got me Mustang pulleys when I had the XR7 they were a little wider, all steel and fit perfect but I also had a 10% charger overdrive pulley on.

Right now with no overdrive supercharger pulley it may be a tight squeeze getting that belt on, I think the Stang ones were a larger diameter

Nonetheless I want to dump those plastic pulleys for steel. Any help or part numbers like from RockAuto.com if you recognize the correct ones would be appreciated. They list them as tensioner pulley and idler pulley as separate.

Dayco, Goodyear, AC-Delco, Motorcraft as long as they are not plastic, and if you have done this did you need any kind of spacer or washer?

Getting older just sucks from a memory perspective not to mention other things

I use a 77mm steel idler pulley on the main belt, Autozone $25

Last edited:
The light bulb finally went on, I used 3 x 76mm Stang ones, a hair wider than T-bird ones, bit of a snug fit on a stock blower pulley but it does work.

Bill at SC Performance has a 3 pack of 76mm steel ones for $52.97, I can't beat that price even on rock auto.

Back