all of a Sudden

vytas

Hi All

Im back in Canada for the summer and driving my SC around - was running fine- nice and smooth etc

But all of a sudden while driving on Hwy 6 yesterday i had a loud backfire - and then the engine stalled soon after

I stopped by the side of the road and tried to restart - it almost would - but then a kind of clunk would prevent it.

SO i stopped trying - and called for a tow.

There were no leakso fo fluids - no smoke - engine was running cool - etc.

Could it be the timing chain went all of a sudden ?

I know it might be hard to know - but any ideas as to whiat this might be would be appreciated very much

cheers
Vytas

If the crank pulley wobbles it most likely means the mechanism it mounts to which is called the harmonic balancer and is attached to the crank shaft is finished. It's not uncommon on these cars. The timing chain is pretty rugged it is not so common for that to break.

It's a big job changing the harmonic balancer and expensive. At rockauto.com they range from $80(garbage) to $180(Dayco). Supercoupe performance has the high quality BHJ balancer but they are around $400 US.

thanks

thanks for that - will be checking it out - if there is no wobble will appreciate other ideas - thanks !!

The cam sensor could cause that as well.
If you find the balancer bad, and don't cheap out, throw for the BHJ. Just keep in mind that you can't use the stock pulley bolts on the BHJ balancer, they are a bit too long. Cost me about $700 to learn that the hard way.
Alan

Last edited:
hi

Hi Allan

Do you mean that a loopy crank shaft or even cam shaft position sensor can account for the pulley wobbling - or it can account for the sudden inability of the engine to run ? In my experience - even with bad sensors of both kinds I could still drive the car- even though the tach might bounce a lot and run rough.

Cheers,
Vytas

Not for the pully wobbling, if that is what you find. The symptoms, back fire, stop running and the other thing you mentioned. I had a cam sensor go bad once when I was driving and the engine bucked something awful.
I also had a balancer break right off while driving and the car just shut off, on a two lane, while trying to pass someone.
The cam sensor only costs about 50 bucks.
First rule of troubleshooting: check the easy stuff first.
Alan

uh oh

Yes - that is roughly what happened to me - as i was passing - loud backfire followed by loss of power - and that was that

I did notice a bit of a strange exhaust note coming from the right tail pipe prior - kind of like a drone similar to when you get a puncture in the pipes

Anyway -- the garage where i had it towed to called to tell me it appears to be a bent rod = so that kind of means a new engine or rebuild

So - can anyone advise as to who might be able to rebuild for me ? ( Dave Dalke comes to mind - but he is a bit far)

Seeing as wherever you took the car the garage knows about as much about these cars as I do about brain surgery.:D A bent rod is a pretty severe call to make! Just be careful you don't have the engine torn down for no reason. Maybe one of the guys in the area could give you a hand checking a few things.

XR7 Dave does great work, its expensive to ship an engine there , but I believe even Dave would say a little more diagnosis before proclaiming a bent rod.

Sorry I just don't trust many mechanics with these cars, not that they are poor mechanics, just they have little to zero experience with these cars.

This ain't your Grammas 3.8V6 Taurus LOL

Last edited:
Yes - that is roughly what happened to me - as i was passing - loud backfire followed by loss of power - and that was that

I did notice a bit of a strange exhaust note coming from the right tail pipe prior - kind of like a drone similar to when you get a puncture in the pipes

Anyway -- the garage where i had it towed to called to tell me it appears to be a bent rod = so that kind of means a new engine or rebuild

So - can anyone advise as to who might be able to rebuild for me ? ( Dave Dalke comes to mind - but he is a bit far)

I also would ask how they determined that. Did they do a compression test on each cylinder? I mean, maybe it is shot. But why would a rod just bend out of the blue? There has to be more to the story.

My thoughts as well "just how did they determine a bent rod". I have heard of a timing chain breaking and bending a rod.

thanks

Thanks for the input

i will ask the garage for some specifics as to how they determined it was a bent rod - i have long realized these cars are different and require some special experience

As for Dave - i agree he would be perhaps the best choice for any engine work - but getting it to him and back might be an issue.

I will likely get the car towed up to me here in the country near Markdale (Hwy 10) - where at least i can store it - and then think about what to do next.

I will post what further info i can get from the garage about the diagnosis ..

Thank to all you guys for your helpful input !!

Cheers~!

I have a 93 long block available.

85.000 kms.

It was pulled to replace with built motor.

You would be good to go with your intake manifold, blower etc.

Paul

Paul ,If Vytas does not want it I am interested in this motor, send me a pm on any particulars and what you are looking for it .
Thanks.
Dave .

85.000 kms.

Paul

hi paul

85.000 kms.

Paul

hi Paul - maybe you could message me the particulars - i.e. what you'd be asking

thanks
vytas

follow up

So i had a chance to speak with the mechanic about how they determined i had a bent rod

They simply started it up and heard a big racket and to them it sounded like a rod banging around

They didn't do any compression testing etc....

The car was running very fine and smoothly up until the moment and, just 2 weeks before, had passed the emisisons test with flying colours ( very much below the acceptable limits )

I will have the car towed up to me and may try to figure it out some more - while i could check for a wobbly crank pulley i don't really have any gear to do a compression test. :)

Anyways - ideas and suggestions are most welcome !

Thanks ~!

So i had a chance to speak with the mechanic about how they determined i had a bent rod

They simply started it up and heard a big racket and to them it sounded like a rod banging around

They didn't do any compression testing etc....

The car was running very fine and smoothly up until the moment and, just 2 weeks before, had passed the emisisons test with flying colours ( very much below the acceptable limits )

I will have the car towed up to me and may try to figure it out some more - while i could check for a wobbly crank pulley i don't really have any gear to do a compression test. :)

Anyways - ideas and suggestions are most welcome !

Thanks ~!

When you get it back - I would check the oil pan for dents from inside. That would be a dead giveaway of a broken rod. If that revealed nothing, I would pull the valve covers and check for a broken rocker arm bolt.

Back