94-95 Exhaust Manifold vs 89-93

Les Borda

First question is will the 94-95 exhaust manifolds fit a 90, I have a feeling it could be no because of the EGR tube on the 90 and perhaps other reasons.

2nd question, do the 94-95 manifolds flow any better, perhaps allow more CFM.

Thanks
Les

Woah, that article really messed with my head. The thread ended with Dave's last test and only on one port. He found discrepancies between ports even on the 89 stock manifolds when he got curious but did not do all the ports it seems. The 94-95 is not a whole lot better certainly not worth finding them and switching them over.

Looks like from a price perspective outside of bashing in a section on the drivers side for the steering column the MAC shorties seem to perform well.

My son is looking at those headers on SpinningWheels SC. Dave told me don't bother. I'm comfy with that my son isn't.

KMT he wants to get this 90 to 300rwhp. His exhaust from the collectors back has been quoted and is custom

2.5 down pipe, 2,5 cats, Magnaflow res 2.x2.5 in and 2x2.5 out, 2 x2.5 around the tank to Magnaflow offsets that are 2.5 in.

He is doing exhaust first, not Dave's suggestion of doing yhe intake and injectors first. Me I would follow Dave, him he has other thoughts but who am I to suggest anymore than I have.

I can't see those mustang type header from SpinningWheels doing much except they LOOK like all the collector pipes seem to be the same size, not hammered flat in areas like the stock manifolds. Just have no specs on them and I can't seem to get hold of Diane.

The Mustang Mac shorties seem to flow well but you have to modify them to clear the steering column, I did see pics of that in the forums.

Thanks

I didn't know there was such a thing. I do now, Rich Thompson at MN12 Performance used to sell them. I don't know which is more troublesome, getting an offset somewhere and trying to make it fit or heating the Mac or JBA shortie n denting it in some to fit.

I don't know which is more troublesome, getting an offset somewhere and trying to make it fit or heating the Mac or JBA shortie n denting it in some to fit.

And then there is the 3rd option of doing both :)

Have you proposed just keeping the early style, wrapped with heat-wrap and hogged out outlets?

For 300rwhp you dont need headers. There is no arguing with that point. The money can be spent better elsewhere. Get some 94-95 manifolds cheap(if you can), port the lip at the outlet and send them out to be ceramic coated. That will keep engine bay temps a bit better..OR just port and put on as is and save the cash again:O)

I like that idea better i saw the flow rates were better on 94-95's and get them hogged out. I just sent an email off to my fav parts guy and friend Ryan Harris to see what he has kicking around in exhaust manifold land. He's gutting a 90 and he is a machinist asked him to hog them out perhaps.

Damned thing is this one has the EGR which can be deleted and blocked off. Besides a chip from XR7 Dave, which eventually will be coming, is there another way to stop it from throwing codes without the EGR?

It seems I can get a pair of 94-95 exhaust manifolds from my good friend Paul...shoalcracker. Just unsure if the EGR tube will fit up with the 90's EGR. Looking at Super Couple Bills website he only sells one size of EGR tube for 89-90, 94-95 for the Kooks headers.

Thanks KMT but getting nowhere fast, the link takes me to the main page and I have tried 3 egr tubes for 90 ford and all say does not fit
Doesn't the 95 manifold come with an egr tube in the manifold?

What do you need EGR for? Good lord, for 300rwhp he barely even needs to change the exhaust. I should start selling 300rwhp stickers that people could put on their windshields. I could charge $500 each and it would be a bargain for what people seem to spend on pointless mods.

For 300rwhp the only thing required to be changed on the exhaust is the resonator. Stock cats will even support that power level. People way over think this stuff. :rolleyes: :D

Personally I don't care about the EGR the guys doing the exhaust can seal off both ends :D Sp it throws a check engine, no big deal. Eventually he will get those goodies from you Dave and the chip will have the EGR delete.

It's not my car unfortunately so I am trying to make things cool while getting things done.

Back