Cooling fan burnt fuse wiring help

philstad28

A while ago I posted about my fuse blowing for my cooling fan. I finally got around to trying to do some rewiring and im lost. I don't know what to do to wire a new fusible link in. I need to know which wire to cut and put there on a fusible link. Anything would be helpful. Because I don't know much about wiring lets say the burnt wire to the left in the picture is wire #1 and the burnt wire to the right is wire #2 lol. hopefully the picture uploaded :rolleyes: lol
DSC03348.jpg

None of those get the Fuseable link, it goes to the main power wire ~4 AWG. With those burnt you have a problem elsewhere. I had my motor seize and blow the link and fuse box was fine.

Looks like your looking at Pusher Fan, IRCM, PCM, or Main Light Switch need to know which fuses those are.

Last edited:
I thought that I would have to cut the wires that are burnt and put in a fusible link or something. I put a new fuse in after I cleaned up the burnt plastic mess from the old fuse melting and I don't think it was making contact because the terminals were messed up. I just want to be able to wire it so I don't have to bootleg hotwire my cooling fan on lol

My guess from the photo is that those wires overheated because of high resistance...from two decades of corrosion and high current, at the connectors, up inside the box. Do you know if the right amp fuse was in place?

Conceivably you could cut away the damaged wire(s), with the connector/fuse holder, then splice in healthy wire and fresh connector/fuse holder. This of course assumes the box is still serviceable/not melted, etc.

You may need to source another box, hopefully with those two wires long enough to let you use them for both splices so you have the correct fuse connectors. I would make sure the work is done right, including shrinkwrap, so that you're not back in there soon. Be sure to check all other wires for similar pain, just in case.

Good luck and hope it works out for you.

I know the correct fuse was in there. The box itself is melted and it took forever to get the old fuse out because it was melted to the box. I know this is a common problem on the 94-95s. When i wire a new fuse in would i cut both wires and just put one end to each end of the fuse holder? I dont think its work replacing the whole box for just the one fuse

89-93 had the fuseable link.

94-95 had the fuse block that could be replaced.

This car is a 94-95, so I am a bit confused on why a fuseable link is needed?

I would like to rewire it so that maybe i could use a fusible link instead of the fuse box for the fan if that is possible.

The fuse is safer. If you want to move your protection I'd get a different style of fuse and relocate it.

The most likely issue withe the OEM setup is age of the fuses and connections.

Back