M90 1990 Charger Question

Les Borda

Again it's been along time for me but, is it normal to hear a slight chatter from these stock blowers at idle? The car doesn't even have 60k miles on it yet,100% stock...for now :D

Not really. It could be a worn out drive coupler. It's probably worn out rotor bearings. Those are not easy to change - figure over $500 for a new or rebuilt rotor pack. Or around $100 for a used one.

It was low KMT when my son bought it and I topped it up first thing.It had sat for 2-3 years.

I don;t get how the needle bearings could be worn at 60k miles when the former owner from new was an older gentleman. It's very evident that car has not been beat on and was serviced regularly at Ford.

The oil is for the snout only I believe.

Mazza no way would I buy a used charger housing with rotors , probably be right back to where i was. Rather do the rebuild myself or the 500 for a rebuilt case with rotors.

I've heard the snout coupler can cause chatter, but this one is pristine(the snout) no oil on it a little belt dust was all.

If you remove the belt, how much free play is there if you rock it gently?

If you spin the puller by hand is there any noise or grinding?

I have to try that...later LOL..i have enough scars on my hands at the moment from just installing 3 new steel idlers all 76mm, so you know how much fun THAT is getting the charger belt back onto a stock pulley. I had to get it maybe 1/2 on then kicked the starter and she snapped on in place. Did this with neighbors Vette too with the main belt no way could we get it on, I had him kick the starter on it went.

Looks like brother Bill for $350 has magnum powers do a rebuild and inspection with new bearings, seals etc.

....or do it myself

...or find a used blower from one of the local club guys and send it in for rebuild but hell may as well look at a 94-95 blower with the larger inlet plenum

Just thinking out loud of options

Looks like brother Bill for $350 has magnum powers do a rebuild and inspection with new bearings, seals etc.

....or do it myself

...or find a used blower from one of the local club guys and send it in for rebuild but hell may as well look at a 94-95 blower with the larger inlet plenum

Just thinking out loud of options

From what I see, MP's price on a full blower rebuild (snout, rear rotor bearings, and front rotor bearings) is $749.

http://shop.mpsuperchargers.com/MP-Services_c10.htm

The snout rebuild only is $365.

Probably just a bad coupler $20 for a coupler and $20 for some oil problem fixed.

Maybe, but if it's not that, it will cost $500. That's a big jump.

To fix either one, the blower will have to come off. Might as well take it all the way apart and check for wobble in the rotor pack bearings.

https://supercoupeperformance.com/partBrowser.aspx?partId=100

Bill and I passed a few emails back and forth about this and he said yes they replace front and rear bearings and will even do some porting if one wishes, of course for extra $'s.

Ok that is a HUGE discrepancy in what MP is saying and what Bill and I emailed about, I wonder if he thinks just the snout? He did say they will change front and rear bearings and port for extra $'s

Last edited:
I saw those, this may be a YOU DO IT YOSEF" project LOL.

I have a line on an early style blower complete for 125 Canadian and shipped to me not too far from Ottawa, just checking with my friend what the shipping would be.

I know you said you topped off the oil but it really shouldn't be low. If it was low I bet it already is again and the snout seal needs to be replaced and wouldn't be a bad idea to check the play in the rotors as others have mentioned as well as replace the needle bearings in the back of the case. If the rotor pack has play it's best to send it to Charles and have him rebuild it or pick up a set of the nice coated rotors he offers but all depends on what you want to spend.

Good luck!

No leaks it was dry all around the shaft when my son bought it,and still is, no spray on the hood mat. I have no idea where the oil went maybe it was missed by Ford servicing it from the 1st owner. Now my 90 XR7 had oil spray all over the hood mat, it was leaking around the snout.

Who is Charles I've been out of touch for a number of years and just got back into this since my son bought the 90SC?

Last edited:
Back