XR7's Relay Locations 2 not 3!

cougarxr7

Hello,
After searching the forums concerning the abs anti lock relay, it says it is located passenger side firewall next to eec test plug.
There are 3 relays, from left to right, wot, abs pump, abs anti lock.
The problem is on my XR7's I only have 2 relays there, not three.
Even my manual says there are 3.
I have a relay locator sheet I copied from the library auto manuals, it says there are 3.
What I see in the relay houising is the first relay which is the wot relay is not there, just the next 2.
I'd post a screen shot but uploading pics here seems to be difficult for me.
Anyone know about this and why only 2 and not 3 relays, please reply.
Thanks!

If one is missing it is the WOT relay. I don't know when they discontinued it but it is not on many vehicles. My 90 SC does not have a WOT relay.

Thanks for replying.
I have the electrical schematic that shows me the wire colors and info.
Not sure why the wot relay is on tbirds but not xr7s.
Again thanks!

Not sure why the wot relay is on tbirds but not xr7s.

Running changes during production are not uncommon. Typically cost related... perhaps they went first on the lower production unit line to stabilize the process and then migrated from there. Perhaps there was a scheduled review for that line first that forced checking the need and it was coincidental.

I understand about changes during production.
I am curious as to when they made those changes or did the XR7s even have that wot relay?
Maybe it was something for the tbirds only.
I am sure someone can answer this.

Simple

Primary reasons for any change like this are:
- cost
- mpg
- safety

And combinations thereof.

I don't see a recall that dictated removing or using different relays, so cost it is.

the purpose for that relay was to cut out the ac compressor clutch during wot acceleration. A good idea. But, my guess is customers complained that their A/C wasn't working when they tried to pass someone or were going up a big mountain road and Ford decided that with the knock sensor in place they could just let the a/c run and let the customer experience lower performance rather than constantly be explaining to them why the a/c might cut out.

I understand about changes during production.
I am curious as to when they made those changes or did the XR7s even have that wot relay?
Maybe it was something for the tbirds only.
I am sure someone can answer this.

Nope at least a 90 didn't I had one. unsure of the 89's and mine was a August-September build for the 90 model year in 89.

Back