Sunroof Synchronization problem - Vent position

Mike8675309

This past winter ice built up on roof of the car and a accidentally hitting the sunroof button resulted in the sunroof no longer stopping where it should for closed or open or venting.

Today I spent some time attempting to get the sunroof re-synchronized. As those who have worked on the sunroof motor before know, there is a wheel with a section missing such that as the wheel spins it hold a limit switch closed and when it hits the missing section the limit switch opens and the motor stops.

So I put the roof where it should be closed, pulled the motor, ran it until it stopped and reinstalled the motor. That allows me now to open the sunroof all the way and it stops. Close the sunrooof all the way and it stops.

But what doesn't work is the vent position. If I run it up for the Vent the motor doesn't stop and grinds gears until I let go of the button. And then it is out of sync for the closed position again.

Anyone have tips on how to make it work or ideas on what I am doing wrong?

Is your motor the early style or the late two-stop open style?

Can you photo the motor/gear posiion... I think there is a gap in the detent wheel that controls the front vent position vs. the rear stop and maybe you're at the wrong detent?

Last edited:
Here is a photo of mine (late model motor assy.) closed....looks to be somewhere in the middle of the main detent. Your photo seems to show it (closed) but at one end of the detent.
MoonroofMotor_1993.jpg

I would drop the motor but leave it disconnected, then hit the switch to run it back from tilt to fully closed, then bolt back up and test - wash/rinse repeat as needed.

If no joy, there may be some fault in the assembly, but I think it's just out of time.

Good luck in any case.

So obviously something changed.

My guess is that the switch or the motor has some timing or something to deal with going forward after a stop to move foward just a bit.

But I had that hanging down and pushed the forward button so many times that the motor was heating up quite a bit. I could not get it to move just a little bit ever. So if there is a motor internal timing, then that has likely failed. If it is a switch based timing then that has failed. Unfortunately I could find no documentation of how this thing works. Is this a ford mechanism or the sunroof company mechanism?

I'll putz with it some more maybe probe some wires to see what may be going on. At least it seams the late models are well defined what they do. Must be a two pronged switch where one side of the switch gets flipped for the vent, and both get flipped for the stop.

You shared a wiring diagram in comment #18 in this thread: http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthr...oof-not-stopping-at-close&p=304509#post304509

...does it shed any light that may help you?

Ken

Unfortunately that is the one for the 93. As shown in pictures here, the one for the 93 may be a slightly different design from the 90. I need to get a wiring diagram for the 90. Just been working on other stuff as well.

Obviously with only one switch and one divit on the 90 system, something else is responsible for the vent position. I feel that it isn't in the motor as I've messed with that button with the motor just hanging there and never got it to not make a full revolution to the stop. That said, I didn't use any careful logic or procedure documentation of my testing. So that will be my next test, much more procedural.

just got my alldata updated for my 90. no real information there. They have the same diagram. Perhaps it is in the motor. and perhaps it jamming that one time broke something in the motor that it used as it's limit.... If so a late model setup might work in place. hmmm..

I would cycle it all the way forward (spin would be clockwise then...two button presses total) with it unmounted, then use pliers to spin the roof gear to flip/tilt the moonroof, then bolt the mechanism in.

The wheel doesn't spin 360º/a full revolution. It just rotates back and forth within a limited range, perhaps 200º.

If you suspect the motor assy. has failed somehow (gears, etc.) then proper timing may be hard to achieve/maintain and it's time to find another, at least for testing. Any year will work.

For reference, these photos (another late model assy. w/only two wires at the trigger swicth) show the three positions in this order: vent/tilt at front -- fully closed -- fully open. Wheel spins counter clockwise but never does a full rotation (note the position of the black stripe)...

Tilt/Vent:
View attachment 61402

-=-
Fully closed (compare to your image closed above):
View attachment 61403

-=-
Full open (the late model partial-open detent has been passed by the switch):
IMG_1433.jpg

Last edited:
Unfortunately I could find no documentation of how this thing works. Is this a ford mechanism or the sunroof company mechanism?

The mechanism appears to be Webasto, like the sunroof.

I wonder if the problem is a cracked plastic gear or something like that. Maybe it holds together while the glass is moving, but it shifts when it gets to the end and jumps time.

Thanks for the additional pictures. I need to make a tool or grab a stick to make it easier to watch the motor move when pressing the button.
I'll play with it more sometime by late Sunday if I have time. I'm a multi-tasking fool and have a few projects laying around I need to wrap up first. (repaint deck table, get wireless security cameras onto their own network to hide from mom's community wifi, keep my wife happy, fix sunroof, etc... not in any particular order)

:) on the projects, but your thread reminded me to finish adding a one-touch module to the moonroof circuit on my Anny, so thanks for that.

So here is a video showing what it does. i.e. no vent position attempt. May try to pickup a salvage yard motor to see if that fixes it.

Back