PDA

View Full Version : SC in Seattle

Mattcomet82
08-01-2014, 03:24 PM
Hey everyone, I just purchased a '92 SC with 156k. This isn't my first MN12 ('95 Mark8), but I'm new to Tbirds and superchargers. I love the car, but it sat for a few years before I scooped it up. So now I have things popping up here and there that need attention. I'm hoping this site will help me get on the right path as to tips and tricks and what to watch for. Thanks for your help in advance! 6142461425614216142261423

KMT
08-01-2014, 03:37 PM
Welcome - nice looking SC. You'll find tons of info and help here, so if searching the forums doesn't give you what you need, feel free to ask. Good luck w/your '92.

Ken
Portland
-=-

Les Borda
08-01-2014, 04:03 PM
WHOA, nice clean car looks great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One thing I recall about the AOD auto trannies, on the kick down cable by the throttle there is some kind of adjustable gizzmo that needs to be set properly or it causes huge issues on those AOD's. Sorry I cannot expand more on this, I had 5 speeds but I know the guys in the club checked their auto's regularly for this.

Unless 92's were AODE's I think they were not susceptible to this.

Kurt K
08-01-2014, 04:19 PM
What Les is referring to is the TV cable adjustment, and the 1992s do have an AOD. With the age of the car, I'd check the linkage and make sure it has the updated brass bushing. The original one is made of a type of plastic that gets brittle over time and can break, which can ruin a transmission in a hurry. You should be able to buy the bushing at Ford or likely any transmission shop.

Mileage doesn't matter for the bushing either. My buddy has a 12,000 original mile 1993 Mustang that the original bushing broke on. Luckily he stopped right away and saved the transmission.

Les Borda
08-01-2014, 04:38 PM
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks Ken "the TV cable"

1994blkbirdsc
08-02-2014, 06:41 AM
Welcome to the forum.
That is a very clean looking bird there. Good luck with her.

Mattcomet82
08-27-2014, 02:48 PM
Thanks for your responses! I'll be sure to check out the bushing for the tv cable; I know the bushing that connects the throttle cable to the throttle plate is gone, so I've had to modify a small plastic washer with a c clip to get me by. This is one of several things that I'm finding throughout the car. Right now my biggest problem is something is causing the abs pump to stay on after the key has been turned off. I must raise the hood and re/disconnect the pump every time I park/start the car to keep the pump from running while the car is off. A couple other weird things lead me to believe there may be a short somewhere in the wiring. Here are the CEL codes that I read off the scanner, they may provide a little insight:

KOEO- 212 Loss of IDM input to EEC or SPOUT circuit grounded
214 Cylinder Identification Circuit failure

KOER- 116 ECT out of self test range .3 - 3.7v
538 Insufficient RPM change during KOER dynamic response test/operator error

There is also a problem starting the car when it is warm. Ice cold in the morning, it starts up just fine. But after driving the car for any period, it will take 4-5 tries to get the motor started.

I'll post some of these questions in more specific forums to see if I can get more hits, too. Thanks for all your help!

Jimmy 2Coupes
09-01-2014, 05:17 PM
DTC 214 is most probably a bad camshaft position sensor. It's super easy to replace and it may just clear up the 212 DTC also. If it were me I'd try and get a Ford/Motorcraft replacement. The other two codes are probably due to the test not being done at operating temp and insufficient throttle input when the test calls for it.