Custom Steering Wheel ?

jjklongisland

OK, so I have been wanting to install a custom steering wheel on my 89 but I am afraid of how it will look where it meets the gigantic oem steering column. I finally found a good photo of one (not the style I want) but its hard to tell how it will look in person. Its almost like it would needs its own tappered plastic transition to the steering column plastic. Any thoughts? I have a sick steering wheel in mind. Its not cheap but it would make the cars interior completely come together. I would love to see more pics of others who have changed there steering wheels...

Not really. You know my steering wheel isn't stock but I can't find a clean picture of it.

Ira

Start chatting up local shops?

Good news is the machining wouldn't need more than a lathe, Id guess. Provide some dimensions and old/new steering wheels to test fit etc. then have it black anodized. Get a few made up and sell the extras to pay for yours.

On the burgundy one? I dont remember seeing it. How does it look.

Just a simple racing wheel. Nothing fancy. I'll be home all day Sunday if you want to stop by or if you want I would take a ride out to you. I need an excuse to take it for a spin anyway :)

Ira

Just a simple racing wheel. Nothing fancy. I'll be home all day Sunday if you want to stop by or if you want I would take a ride out to you. I need an excuse to take it for a spin anyway :)

Ira

lol... being that my car doesnt start :( maybe you can come out to me... lol Hopefully I will figure it out by then. We'll talk, thanks Ira

I think someone fit the FR500 steering wheel onto their bird without any modifications, was it Mercutio? If that's the case, something like a momo or a nardi should work with a Mustang steering wheel hub adapter, right?

Yes i think it will look unfinished. The oblong to round is going to be difficult to finish, but when you pull it off :)

I think someone fit the FR500 steering wheel onto their bird without any modifications, was it Mercutio? If that's the case, something like a momo or a nardi should work with a Mustang steering wheel hub adapter, right?

Wasn't me, but I do believe the Mustang and the T-Bird share the same steering wheel spline and can use the same steering wheel adapter.

Wasn't me, but I do believe the Mustang and the T-Bird share the same steering wheel spline and can use the same steering wheel adapter.
I'm pretty sure George Davenport installed a FR500 streering wheel in his early SC. I believe he had to have an adapter made to get it to work and had the cover reworked without the airbag. There might be something on this site or his (which I cannot remember).

My 94 has an FR500 steering wheel that bolted right on. The splines are the same as a Mustang, its the T-Bird cruise buttons and horn switch that don't match up to the Mustang wheel so if you are using a Mustang wheel you need to use Mustang buttons.
If you are just going for a Momo or Nardi type wheel I don't see why a Mustang adapter won't work.

My 94 has an FR500 steering wheel that bolted right on. The splines are the same as a Mustang, its the T-Bird cruise buttons and horn switch that don't match up to the Mustang wheel so if you are using a Mustang wheel you need to use Mustang buttons.
If you are just going for a Momo or Nardi type wheel I don't see why a Mustang adapter won't work.

I am not afraid of it lining up with the spline, I am more worried about the look when going from a stock wheel which mounts to a very large diameter steering column to an aftermarket wheel with a very small column footprint.

I like the factory steering wheel.

there are an endless amount of things I would change to my SC before I would even think about that.

that being said, I'm the type of dude that likes a chrome chain link steering wheel.

go figure....

Back