Rear Seatbelt Removal ?

jjklongisland

:eek:Wow am i frustrated. Why doesnt the torque bolts that hold the rear shoulder belt assembly come out. They are 75% out but no matter what i do they just keep spinning. There are no nuts holding them on in the trunk area. I tried lifting on them with a pry bar while unscrewing and still nothing. Any advise???:mad:

No idea why it is doing that. It is a Torx head bolt just like the ones used along the floor for the front seat belts. You are right there is no nut on them. It's a very strong bolt and IF it got stripped (and this is a guess) you can crank on it and pry it up till the cows come home and it probably will not come out.
Very odd problem I have to agree with you.

They have "nuts" welded into the body that probably broke loose. You'll probably have to cut the bolt, weld a drilled/tapped plate in to replace. :(

They have "nuts" welded into the body that probably broke loose. You'll probably have to cut the bolt, weld a drilled/tapped plate in to replace. :(

That was my fear... I think I am going to have to sawzall the bolt and then drill out the bolt from underneath. Then through bolt it using a longer bolt with a nut on the end... :mad::mad::mad:

Unless you can find the spinning nut which probably is intact just broke the weld. Snap a pair of Vice Grips on it or whatever and wedge it against something and you might be able to get the bolt out. It would save a lot of BS with the sawz all and drilling.

you may be able to cut a flap in the second or lower layer in the trunk to access the nut. Cut three sides, bend it out of the way, then bend it back up after the repair and weld. I have seen that guys from the rust belt have had to do something similar when changing subframe bushings.

Adam

you may be able to cut a flap in the second or lower layer in the trunk to access the nut. Cut three sides, bend it out of the way, then bend it back up after the repair and weld. I have seen that guys from the rust belt have had to do something similar when changing subframe bushings.

Adam

Thats a good idea. I am going to dive into it this weekend. I need to put the seats back in my car and get them out of my garage...

You removed the hex head bolt (13mm socket fits it IIRC), correct? From what I remember, the torx head bolt is captive to the seat belt.

Back