Camshaft position sensor replaced now car won't start! HELP!

Plat0ribs

I replaced the cam position sensor yesterday afternoon. Afterward I fired it up, took it for a spin, everything seemed jake. Then this morning I went to start it and turned the key on, every light on the dash light up and stayed lit. when I turn the key to start there was a click but no crank.

Any advice would be very much appreciated. Upon reflection of the process I followed, I did not disconnect the battery before disconnecting the cps, but as I said it started up and ran fine after I finished the job.

100_4620_zpsfce10072.jpg

Not sure a CPS would suddenly make it click-no-start.

During install, did you confirm the old red rubber connector gasket wasn't doubled up and mistakenly used with a new one too?

Why was it replaced to begin with?

Have you checked all grounds including the one from the pass. side motor mount over to the body?

How many volts in the battery now? If you turn on the headlights and try to start do they go dim?

Did you do any other work?

Last edited:
If you still have the old CPS (by the way was it pooched or just acting up?) take one step back and put it back on, see if the symptoms change.
I've never had CPS issues so all the dash light on and not cranking over are things I don't know if they are indicative to Cam sensor issues. Taking a step back in trouble shooting is a logical step and see what changes it may indicate something.

Your issue has nothing to do with the CPS IMHO...it has no direct impact on the car cranking over or not. I would check your battery first if it were mine.

-Tim

KMT said that too Tim. Sometimes when batteries get really low all the warning lights go ape and come on. I bet you guys are right.

Thanks a bunch fellas, this is the same consensus over on FB.

I'll check out all the connections, battery this weekend and report back after.

Symptoms of CPS fail were jerky throttle reaction, intermittent, no tach, random starting issues. But it always cranked...

Yup. When you turn the key and all you get are clicks, then its time to charge the battery, clean everything related to the battery clamps, check the charging voltage, and, if it persists, have battery itself tested.

The SC will start w/o the cam sensor connected, it may take a few tries however since the EEC has to guess as to which coil pack to start with. Your chances are 1/3.

I would start simple chris clean the battery terminals put the battery on a charger and try to start it.

Thank you all for your suggestions, getting ready to leave work and head home for the weekend.

I'll try all these suggestions and report back Monday.

Chris

Back