Battery light

jdsgallops

I finally finished up the power steering rack and water pump install. The rack was not as hard as it has been made out to be. Being the water pump was being changed also the driver side front dress bracket was pulled for ease of installation. In removing it the power steering pump low pressure side house nipple broke. I had a spare pump already mounted in a bracket sitting here so I swapped everything else over and buttoned everything up. I now have the battery light constantly on. Battery showed a 12.33 volt charge after not touching the car for 2+ weeks and is only 8 weeks or so old. Car running voltage at the battery hovered around 15-15.06. So alternator seems to be charging and battery is strong so where is the battery light coming from? Only other thing that was changed was one injector had become unplugged so it was plugged back in. Car is running super smooth now, 500% better then when I bought it. Just need to figure out the battery light and order my tune from Dave to put some miles on this thing.

i would try to charge the battery and see if it goes out,evertime mine has come on it was the alt but you checked that.

At some point recently, was the battery depleted and you used the alternator to bring it back up?

15 is a pretty high charge voltage for a battery that is at 12.3 at rest. Usually you see 14 and change. The regulator may think the battery is lower than it is, careful it doesn't cook your battery by overcharging it....ust a thought.

Load up your electrical, lights on, wipers on, rear defrost on AC fan on high...see if the charge voltage drops.

battery has not been drained since installed. Light was not on before latest round of replacement parts. Light came on Immediately after start up after completion.

Les great point. I will try that if I have time this week.

Might be a co-incidental alternator/regulator failure. Do you have another to test with?

Be sure to check fluid level in all battery cells.

Back