Couple of quick BBK Questions

Les Borda

Doing this tomorrow most likely, removing the stock 90 TB

If I remember you just by pass the throttle heater hoses from one water port to the other? If there is a better method please tell.

No gaskets with the 70mm BKK no big deal I refuse to pay $34 Canadian for a TB gasket and what looks like the TPS gasket. RTV was invented for this reason yes??

Pretty sure my last one had no gaskets either but the TPS one from stock TB was in good shape.

Last edited:
I would think you could reuse stock gaskets if they are present...see how much the throttle body gasket will interfere.

When I bypassed the heater hoses I just cut down a metal pipe and put it between the two hoses and band clamped them together...that should be sufficient.

For some reason I bought the Ultra-Black Permatex today, no reason, always used the copper. LAST time for the black it has a reek something awful!!!!
All I did today was put on the kids raised top(sons car) I forgot what an enormous pain that is lining everything up after. I have (silicon) correction TEFLON gaskets but I was so PO'D trying to get the upper tube into the collar and actually thread i used RTV lol but I did use the gasket at the IC.

Think I'll just eat it and get the copper, far less odor.

It all works like a champ, 19-20lbs vacuum at idle no coughs spits or sputters

Last edited:
When doing the if tubes just use a skim of RTV on the tube sealing surface and let it set, then put it together. Just needs to seal, doesn't need to be wet and yukky to do that. As for the SC and top, use the red anaerobic sealer. Put on uniformally and tighten. It will dry and seal when NO Air is present. Wipe the sticky mess off the outside-if you don't, it will stay sticky!
I never had my IC joints leak when letting the RTV set before joining, it acts like an O-ring, just gets squeezed in between. Don't over tighten!
MikeH

So that is what the red stuff was under the original charger top, Ford must have used it, the original owner had everything done on this car at Ford.

Never used that stuff, none of us ever did in the Toronto group back when, just copper rtv.

Not even sure where to get it, is there a brand name associated with it?

There are many materials that were used by vendors and ford back in the day. Some have gone away and some have morphed into fitz-all compounds.

All RTVs have a strong odor of sorts, and that just means they're working when exposed to the air. Using surgical gloves helps with the clean up and the odor shouldn't linger so long as to be an issue, I think.

I use black RTV on the sc top and teflon on the tube joints.

I think you can find a TB gasket off eBay and I'm not sure I'd be confident just using RTV there. I use a paper compound gasket on the TPS and IAC, with a thin film of black RTV.

I believe the key on all the AI components is to have an unscarred/flat surface.

Last edited:
Found it, Loctite makes it, Permatex. Little issue here, so far only pricing I have seen is on Amazon and I will not pay $31.95 plus shipping for 50mls.

I'll check around for prices I found a Permatex product number as well.

Got it , 50mls Permatex $9.95 US on Amazon.com, 17 with shipping to Canada.

Thanks for the tip

Last edited:
KMT I found a BBK TB gasket and what looks like the tps gasket with it from a BBK Canadian supplier, a mear $36.95 plus shipping, I think NOT...I'll use rtv as I have done before and see if I can reuse the original tps gasket , if not, rtv.

It must have once upon a time but I bought it from Dr Dalke.. used...very clean I must say.

Ouch - see your concern.

There was a day when I'd have cut my own from sheet in that case, but with all the sealants and gasket makers today, I'm w/you.

Ken
-

FYI the prices with shipping on Ebay( I just checked) are no better than BBK Canada, as a matter of fact I found ZERO for BBK model 1715(70mm for sc's) but saw ones for mustangs.

Installed and works like a champ, the stock gasket was pretty good, some rtv helped. The TPS had a gasket on the BBK, I used a little rtv on the IAC.

Heck no Paul this is the largest Canadian Tire store in Canada right here in Kanata, but the Permatex red anaerobic sealant they don't carry, I checked online it seems they don't carry it at all. The rest they have black, Ultra black, Ultra copper RTV, all the thread loctites red and blue, gasket maker etc.

Back