Installing new engine, need advice!

cougarxr7

Hello,
Engine was rebuilt by a very reputable shop.
Since they bored the engine 20 over, and reassembled with oversized pistons.
Do I need bigger fuel injectors?
Do I need a bigger throttle body?
Does my chip need to be modified?
Or will stock parts work OK?
Those are just some of the questions I can think of.
Anyone have any advice, tips, pointers about installing this engine, please reply!
Just trying to build something dependable, not a race car.
Thanks!

No, you don't need any of those things as a result of the rebuild. It is up to you if you want to upgrade those parts, along with the fuel pump, maf, intake, etc. Bigger pieces here and there won't do much. You need to think of mods as a system, a network of bigger air and fuel passages all matched and working together.

I would give the engine bay a good detail or repaint while the engine is out, and check motor mounts, and suspension parts that may be much easier to work on, for instance the steering rack.

Good luck!

We aren't talking about a significant increase in displacement.

Stock 3.8L engine: Bore is 3.810" and stroke is 3.390"
Cubic Inch Displacement (CID)=231.8952200796 inch^3

20 over 3.8L engine: Bore is 3.83", stroke is 3.390"
Cubic Inch Displacement (CID)=234.3362055804 inch^3

2.441 inch^3 or 1% gain in volume.
Calculated here:
http://www.ajdesigner.com/phpengine/engine_equations_cubic_inch_displacement_b.php

Your stock ECU will be able to handle that slight difference in volume since it will potentially see increased airflow via the MAF and will compensate with more fuel accordingly.

I'm willing to bet that the air volume delta you see moving from 5000ft (say, Denver) to Sea Level would be more than the what you would see with this increase in volume. If stock SC ECUs can handle both locales, they should be able to handle your increased volume.
Pressure26.gif

-g

Back