Limited Slip Differential rebuild

sonrider657

The Limited Slip Differential on my 94 SC is pretty well shot. I can barely take off on wet pavement without one wheel spinning profusely.

I have never rebuilt one before. Is it an easy do-it-yourself project for a novice? If not, is this something I could trust to the local transmission shop? What should I expect to pay?

Thanks for any insight.

I think you'd find it easier to simply swap out the entire unit instead of a DIY rebuild if you're not up on those particular details, etc.

A replacement pumpkin shouldn't be that hard to find/buy.

Did that year have limited slip or it is transmission controlled? Did you check the fluid and see if all it needs is more additive?

The Limited Slip Differential on my 94 SC is pretty well shot. I can barely take off on wet pavement without one wheel spinning profusely.

I have never rebuilt one before. Is it an easy do-it-yourself project for a novice? If not, is this something I could trust to the local transmission shop? What should I expect to pay?

Thanks for any insight.

If you aren't changing gears and only changing clutches in an existing limited slip differential, the job isn't that difficult. The hardest part for me was installing a heavier F-150 S-spring. There are a few threads that mention the S-spring. If you still don't feel like it is something you want to do, at least remove the pumpkin and take it wherever the work will be done, which should save you some money.

I assumed my 94 SC had a LSD but I don't know. I just know that one wheel spins very easily on take off. (5-speed manual transmission)

Are new and/or rebuilt pumpkins available?

They should be plentiful in either case.

Check the for sale ads here and/or start a want to buy ad of your own. Where are you located?

But know that late models don't have trac-lock, so you might be seeing normal action, assuming the traction control circuit for the ABS is working.

Last edited:
Back