1996 V8 o/d on off indicator light

91TBird93SC96V8

Just trying to find the location of the o/d on/off indicator light for a 96 v8.
Everytime I press the o/d I dont know if it's on or off.
Thanks in advance.

My '99 truck had a column shift, and it was right by the button on the end of the stalk. The early 'Birds didn't have AOD off sw's just no manual 2 selection:(. I would hazard a guess in the cluster with the rest of the warning lights.

Last edited:
Then mine has never lit up then. Then again, my shift selector lights have never lit up either, could they be connected somehow, maybe by a fuse? The o/d button is on shift knob.

Could be any of many reasons or combinations thereof. But I doubt the console shift plate light is tied into the cluster warning lights.

Has the cluster ever been out?

Do you have the fuse box lid/map? Do you have an EVTM for that car?

If not, I'd check all the fuses under the hood and dash first, then maybe pull the cluster and make sure the main harness connections are ok, then check the bulbs.

If you aren't sure if the Overdrive button even works, drive the car up to around 40-45 mph and hit the button. If you feel the car down shift, then it works. If not, chances are the shifter has been off before and the OD wires were damaged and broken.

The OD Off light is in the cluster, on the bottom right if memory serves me right.

First off verify the OD is working, as mentioned above drive to 50 mph and press the OD button on the shifter, you should feel the trans downshift. If not then there is a problem with the button, try some electronics parts cleaner-just a small squirt in the shifter-see if that helps.
If not remove the console top and look for the 2 fine wires, cant miss them. Trace then to there connection, GENTLY disconnect and spray some more electronic parts cleaner to both connections and reassemble.

Road test again, if the tranny downshifts at speed when OD button is depressed the light bulb in the dash is burned out.

Back