FLIR thermal camera for iPhone - See Your SC's Heat

KMT

FLIR is shipping their new IR thermal camera attachment for iPhone.

Looks like it can be both a great tool and great fun...
SC_Exhaust01.jpg

I've already used it to spot an issue with the negative battery cable at the battery. I'll be using it to check the cooling system, IC, exhaust system, bearings, etc. No more guessing with an IR temp gun or the back of your hand.

Images, video, timelapse, panos, report tools, etc. All the features of their traditional thermal cameras can now be as near as your phone.

See: http://www.flir.com/flirone/

They have tools for Windows and Mac desktop that let you work with the image data, but most of them require registering with them on their website. The Mac version tools are free in the mac app store and their iOS app package is free on the app store. The camera is also a piggy-back battery pack...requires iPhone 5, but the image tools work on iPad as well.

SC_Hood01.jpg

This is my original thread on SC thermal imaging back in 2008:
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthr...ots-of-SC-engine-warming-up&highlight=thermal

Last edited:
Yah we were thinking about picking up a few just for feild engineers/architects. But then I'd have to end up interpreting everyones results. Understanding IR theory is key..But hey it takes some cool photos

Cool, please bring it to the Shootout so you can show me how it works.

David

I can do that! :)

I'm not sure how accurate the temperature readings are - I wish I would've put a thermometer in with the test just for a cross reference. It will be interesting comparing it to a digital pyrometer or known temperature gauge in the future. Regardless of the 'accuracy', it definitely has potential.

They also use this to steal your pin codes for your debit card. If someone has this attachment on his iPhone behind you at he checkout , he up to no good.

That's pretty neat! Even before seeing any thermal images, I would have imagined that the SC hood/ engine area would show something fierce.

They also use this to steal your pin codes for your debit card. If someone has this attachment on his iPhone behind you at he checkout , he up to no good.

I saw the video about that on YT. Pretty scary stuff. It's amazing how tech like this can be used for no good. The defeat for that is to put your palm on the keypad or to touch several buttons after entering your PIN to cover up your PINs thermal signature.

I'd like to use it to look at my house to find heat leaks to better seal the house in the winter.

The temperature will not be accurate. IR cameras dont read temperature. They read all inbound IR radiation and convert that into temperature. The problem is that the only form of IR radiation directly associated with temperature is that which is radiated. The camera will read whats radiated plus whats reflected plus was trasmitted. Its a nifty tool none the less. Anyoneinterested in learning about IR radiation theory I present an introduction 1hr seminar to fellow engineers and architects. I can email you a copy. Its not very technical as its an introductory seminar. Basically 40 hours or theory in an hour.

Just PM me with your email addy. It would also help understand IR heat guns as well

ok mr smarty pants.

i didnt know there was a t stat in the water in drillers pics till i looked at it on a new tablet. thought it was some boiling water.

Back