PDA

View Full Version : The Fun Never Stops

ALS35
08-17-2014, 08:12 PM
So ... I got the mods done on the 5 speed three weeks ago. Got the correct tune in the quarter horse from Dave.
Mods:
Ported early blower
10% overdrive
75MM TB
76MM Maf
Cold air intake with cone filter
42 lb injectors
Double KW intercooler with fan
180 degree thermostat
The car really woke up with this combination. Spinning the wheels in second gear is a kick!
I was resigned to the leaking slave cylinder for the clutch, I have to do the trans anyway.
I took the car to the cottage this weekend and it was running cooler and has lots of jam. Until ...
The head gaskets let go so now I have another project.
By the time I am finished this round on this car it will have ported exhaust manifolds as well.
What a ride. I'm batting 1000. Every SC I have or had got head gaskets.
The axiom is true. There are two kinds of SC ... those that have had head gaskets done and those that are going to.
I wish I had a garage.
Alan
P.S. I still have to put the AOD back together. I tore the engine down to the short block so that Dave can change my valve springs. I'll have the heads back this coming saturday. Start it back together on sunday morning.

shoalcracker
08-17-2014, 08:31 PM
Al

Sorry to hear.

Not sure what it is but they like to be run.

It's like they absorb a little and develop a resistance.

Stuff dries out and when they get boost they find a weakness.

Paul

superdadsc
08-17-2014, 08:45 PM
I keep having issues myself. One motor and two tranny's so it sucks. Just think what it will be like when you are done. I would get a simple cam from Dave D and do that while she is down.:D

fast Ed
08-17-2014, 08:59 PM
Still stock exhaust Alan? If so, get that bottleneck opened up!!

cheers
Ed

davec73
08-17-2014, 09:22 PM
Sorry to hear that Alan it was good seeing you up at Daves and it looks as though I found where all the boost and power was going so I will have to dyno it at the shootout after all!

91bird
08-17-2014, 10:20 PM
Geeze AL, didnt take long to start the slide downhill with this car eh lol.:D
Sorry to hear about the head gaskets but hey may as well add ported heads while you are at it now!
I'm still a chicken when it comes to modding my car. Have a pile of stuff here collecting dust so you got me beat for sure.
All the best with it.
Drew

HoseHead
08-18-2014, 05:27 PM
HG? Really?
That car has custom down tubes, high perf cats and the dealer Borla catback with a single resonator, no muffs.
There's no restrictions in that system - it breathes.

The car did sit relatively idle for a few years, I think the plate was 2010.
I can't see an HG "drying out" due to non-use.

I have a set of brand new Fel-Pro gaskets and ARP studs in a box in the white SC.
The clutch assembly is near new (10,000 km??) - a Fenco performance unit, I believe.

Build a garage. you have room for a nice one, 90 degrees to your street ......

Bruce

KMT
08-18-2014, 06:07 PM

Intake manifold gaskets, maybe?

shoalcracker
08-18-2014, 08:27 PM
Intake manifold gaskets, maybe?

My 93 had 6000 miles over 10 yrs.

The intake was leaked thru.

Paul

ALS35
08-18-2014, 09:10 PM
HG? Really?
That car has custom down tubes, high perf cats and the dealer Borla catback with a single resonator, no muffs.
There's no restrictions in that system - it breathes.

The car did sit relatively idle for a few years, I think the plate was 2010.

I have a set of brand new Fel-Pro gaskets and ARP studs in a box in the white SC.
The clutch assembly is near new (10,000 km??) - a Fenco performance unit, I believe.

Build a garage. you have room for a nice one, 90 degrees to your street ......

Bruce

At 158000 K they were due. Not a problem. It is a bunch of work for sure, probably a 16 hour round trip, but just bad timing.
The exhaust may be breathing and it sounds as if it is but the back end of each manifold is only 1.75". That will be fixed when I have it apart. Adds a bit of time to the repair but will be worth it. They can be opened up to over 2".
I don't have a problem with the clutch. The slave cylinder is leaking. Inside the bell housing. But only when you step on it. It doesn't leak static. I knew about the synchros and have a spare trans to rebuild so adding a slave cylinder to that project is just money.
I'll have the parts for the HG's in hand by Saturday but I will be putting the AOD car back together first. The shootout is fast approaching and that is the car that takes me there.
I have never heard of HG's drying out. I have heard of crappy Ford original equipment however.
Anyway, should have it up and running well again by mid September. I do still have to work for a living so time with the car is a bit limited. Can't imagine how the married with children guys do it.
Alan
P.S. Bruce, I still want that mirror switch and glove box. Tony came up with a R/H mirror assembly for me.

ALS35
08-18-2014, 09:19 PM
Sorry to hear that Alan it was good seeing you up at Daves and it looks as though I found where all the boost and power was going so I will have to dyno it at the shootout after all!

Sounds great, Dave. Glad you think you found your power loss. Set your expectations a bit lower and you will be happier coming off the rollers. I never dyno with a number in my head that I want. Makes it more of surprise. Anyway, it's not about the dyno numbers, it's about the 11 second time slip. The dyno can lie. The strip doesn't.
It was good to see you too. Kevin has a nice new shop and chairs for you to sit in when you are having the heart attack.
Alan

Les Borda
08-18-2014, 09:44 PM
There are two kinds of SC ... those that have had head gaskets done and those that are going to.

Gotta love that line Al, but a truer word has never been spoken, there's those that are and those that will be.

Sorry to hear it, sucks with no garage.

shoalcracker
08-18-2014, 10:34 PM
Al

I'm in TO for the weekend doing some house sitting.

I'm at Bayview and Eglington but travelling to Mississauga.

She's at Rathburn and Dixie.

I can bring my stuff and do a side if your up for it.

Paul

PS Beer required

Ryan A Harris
08-19-2014, 11:45 AM
I can remember Steve day saying one time, "every Super Coupe should come with its own parts car".

Geez Al, you just can't get enough......

Oh yeah, now you know with 2 SC's, you get double the pain. It never ends........hope your all up and running before the shoot out.

ALS35
08-22-2014, 09:46 PM
Al

I'm in TO for the weekend doing some house sitting.

I'm at Bayview and Eglington but travelling to Mississauga.

She's at Rathburn and Dixie.

I can bring my stuff and do a side if your up for it.

Paul

PS Beer required

Thanks for the offer, Paul. Turns out I am going to Dave's place to get my parts on Sunday. Back to work on Monday. I'll be spending tomorrow cleaning parts and doing minor prep for the re-assembly of the AOD car. Should make the bolting together go a bit more smoothly if everything is ready.
I also have to re-route the lines to my new aux trans cooler and install an LED light dimmer for my pod gauges. Something Autometer neglected to mention. You can't dim LED's with the car's instrument dimmer. When I drove back from Ohio at night with them I had to tape over all three gauges. At night it was like trying to see past the sun.
I won't be starting on the 5 speed 'til the AOD is up and running again.
Alan

ALS35
08-22-2014, 09:49 PM
I can remember Steve day saying one time, "every Super Coupe should come with its own parts car".

Geez Al, you just can't get enough......

Oh yeah, now you know with 2 SC's, you get double the pain. It never ends........hope your all up and running before the shoot out.

I will definitely be running before the shootout. I'm thinking by the end of next week. It's all just nuts and bolts now.
Alan

shoalcracker
08-22-2014, 10:17 PM
Glad to hear it's coming together with some time to shake it down.

Paul