Issues after the mods.....Help!

Les Borda

I got everything in from Dave D, today I put it back together, slow and meticulous, I used teflon gaskets on the IC's, not on the raised top(rtv). I have the collar nut down tight with a teflon gasket. My son put the chip in last night, the contacts were grease coated and they were cleaned well with alcohol.

Started it, she will not keep running. If he feathers the throttle it goes into vacuum, and as soon as you let off the gas, stalls,does some backfires.
Does that funny starter thing where it sounds like your battery is dying but it's not. Leave it a moment and it fires easily, will not stay running.
I did find I left off the fuel pressure regulator vacuum line at the intake, I can;t see the damned thing the connection at the regulator may have come off. Son is not happy

Dave burned in the EGR delete so I do not have the silicon line connected to the EGR sensor but the EGR itself is back on for now.

I swear it's sucking air someplace, I just don;t know where. Maybe I should tear it all down again to the injectors and start over.

He's saying how do I know the chip is not the issue, personally I have my doubts about that.

If there is anyone in the Ottawa area I;d appreciate a hand immensely. Hose Head I think is nearby.

I recall my XR7 running something like this when one of the fellows forgot to rtv the intake plenum connection, but this had a gasket plus a light coat of rtv on both sides.

I installed the 38lb Lucas injectors, I could not remove the fuel rail totally because I could not get at the bolt behind the fuel pressure regulator. The old ones came out easily, all the clips survived and I used them on the 38lb Lucas injectors.Lubed the upper and lower O ring so they slid in easily.

Sorry for going on and on ,

Last edited:
80mm ProM. 70mm BBK. It was all running fabulous with 80mm MAF, BBK, stock injectors no chip, it ran fantastic.

Then I tore it down and my son put the chip in, as I said I doubt it the chip.

I would take the the gasket out of the collar nut and use RTV there. Get some starting fluid or a un-lit propane torch and spray the IC couplers when trying to keep it running. My guess is you'll find the leak there.

Alternatively you could have put the spark plug wires on the wrong order. see this picture Some of the books are wrong.
attachment.php

And finally there could be a problem with the chip installation. Make sure the chip is on the connector and that all the goop was cleaned off the connector. Also make sure you unplugged the car battery before starting to clear all the stuff from before the chip was installed.

Alternatively you could have put the spark plug wires on the wrong order. see this picture Some of the books are wrong.
attachment.php

I was just about to say that.

I made that mistake during my first head gasket job, I swapped 5 and 6. The funny thing is, after reading this site I was well aware of the wire set up , i checked three times and still did it wrong :mad:. You can't fix stupid I guess.
The car did exactly what you are describing.

Last edited:
Thanks Jacob if I have to tear it down again I will use rtv, I had good luck with the teflon before but maybe not this time, especially on the collar ring.

Thanks for the firing order picture and yes some manuals have it wrong. I am pretty sure 1,2 and 3 are where they should be but will double check.

True KMT and not have to go through all that scrubbing with a Scotch pad and Brake Cleaner and scraping to remove the old RTV. I may RTV the collar if I have to strip it down again. Thanks

I wouldn't get one of those pads anywhere near an engine where it might shed and get inside. They use micro-fine aluminum oxide abrasive materials that can raise heck on bearings, etc. even if you think you've cleaned up well.

Damn, it's just one of those kitchen ones, sponge on one side and some kind of wool scrubber on other side. Do those have that crap in it too?

What should I be using to clean the old RTV off?

Last edited:
Do those have that crap in it too?

Check the package...if they shine stuf up really well, bingo.

I use brake clean or alcohol, elbow grease and compressed air, sometimes with those blue paper shop towels you can buy at auto parts stores.

75130.jpg

Solved

My bad, the intake plenum has a gasket rather than RTV-ing it like I am used to, I cannot see behind the plenum when I install it, the damned gasket some of it slipped out the back...hence major air sucking. I knew it sounded like my XR7 when one of the guys working with us forgot to RTV the intake plenum after I had blown HG's and we were redoing the heads and what not.

Nonetheless, DONE and runs like a dream !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Dave D !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back