PDA

View Full Version : Issues after the mods....Help

Les Borda
08-20-2014, 05:45 PM
I got everything in from Dave D, today I put it back together, slow and meticulous, I used teflon gaskets on the IC's, not on the raised top(rtv). I have the collar nut down tight with a teflon gasket. My son put the chip in last night, the contacts were grease coated and they were cleaned well with alcohol.

Started it, she will not keep running. If he feathers the throttle it goes into vacuum, and as soon as you let off the gas, stalls,does some backfires.
Does that funny starter thing where it sounds like your battery is dying but it's not. Leave it a moment and it fires easily, will not stay running.
I did find I left off the fuel pressure regulator vacuum line at the intake, I can;t see the damned thing the connection at the regulator may have come off. Son is not happy.

Dave burned in the EGR delete so I do not have the silicon line connected to the EGR sensor but the EGR itself is back on for now.

I swear it's sucking air someplace, I just don;t know where. Maybe I should tear it all down again to the injectors and start over.

He's saying how do I know the chip is not the issue, personally I have my doubts about that.

If there is anyone in the Ottawa area I;d appreciate a hand immensely. Hose Head I think is nearby.

I recall my XR7 running something like this when one of the fellows forgot to rtv the intake plenum connection, but this had a gasket plus a light coat of rtv on both sides.

I installed the 38lb Lucas injectors, I could not remove the fuel rail totally because I could not get at the bolt behind the fuel pressure regulator. The old ones came out easily, all the clips survived and I used them on the 38lb Lucas injectors.Lubed the upper and lower O ring so they slid in easily.

Sorry for going on and on

shoalcracker
08-20-2014, 06:18 PM
Les

If you accurately conveyed the changes you were making it's not the tune.

Dave does this stuff in his sleep.

Paul

Les Borda
08-20-2014, 06:25 PM
Les

If you accurately conveyed the changes you were making it's not the tune.

Dave does this stuff in his sleep.

Paul

My thoughts exactly Paul, Dave put the whole package together and it's minor compared to what he does and is capable of doing.

Les Borda
08-20-2014, 06:32 PM
Son asked me if mucked up the firing order because I had 3 wires off the coil pack to remove the blower, damned near impossible seeing as I never took them out of the wire loom on the blower I just slide the connector off. When I replaced them they lined up length wise exactly as they should.

shoalcracker
08-20-2014, 07:36 PM
Les

I would retrace all your steps.

It may be that you crimped a gasket.

When I mess up I usually get a higher idle.

Not sure if that's a clue.

Have you checked the manifold for fuel.

Pump comes on for 10 seconds and shuts down of the key.

I haven't got a clue re EGR.

Paul

Les Borda
08-20-2014, 08:09 PM
I will check that Paul on that shrader valve and see it if squirts fuel...it smells like fuel Paul .

I think I am going to back track as you suggested, tear it all down again, check for things as I get it down to the fuel rail. I won't be shocked if it is something I missed or messed up. Problem is my friend I put 16hrs in on that car yesterday, 6 more today. Damn I'm 62 not 52, it's hard on me so I take my time.
Maybe I should not have used those clips on the Lucas injectors and they are not seated in far enough even though the clips are clicked in place? I dunno, I'm shooting in the dark right now.

Thanks for suggestions Paul.

shoalcracker
08-20-2014, 08:47 PM
Les

These cars are truly an engineering work of art.

Depending on how you enter and where you want to go it could be 2 to 20 hrs.

And you don't know in which direction the engineer started from.

Always entertaining.

It's been a decade.

Keep plugging and it will all come back.

Paul

Les Borda
08-20-2014, 10:40 PM
Paul some things did and have come back. It's been close to 10 years since I gotten into an SC, you forget a lot of things, but they are coming back.

I have the Ford bible and do you think they give an inclination at all on how to remove that (*(^%**&^%%$$%% ECU...NO. I found some posts on how to, "remove the kick panel, remove secondary kick panel"...Uh Huh ya fer sure.....NOT. I didn't do it, son did. A flashback came to me on doing this with Greg Colemans XR7 back in the day of EEC tuners. I seem to recall him ripping his secondary liner out too out of utter frustration LOL, so do did my son after fighting it for 2 hours at least.
I have to laugh he was contorted in every upside down position imaginable, and the grand finale is a stupid green 7mm screw that MUST be removed from the plastic casing and then TRY to get the ECU out with 500lbs of wiring and harnesses Ford managed to shove into that kick panel area.

jjklongisland
08-20-2014, 11:00 PM
Paul some things did and have come back. It's been close to 10 years since I gotten into an SC, you forget a lot of things, but they are coming back.

I have the Ford bible and do you think they give an inclination at all on how to remove that (*(^%**&^%%$$%% ECU...NO. I found some posts on how to, "remove the kick panel, remove secondary kick panel"...Uh Huh ya fer sure.....NOT. I didn't do it, son did. A flashback came to me on doing this with Greg Colemans XR7 back in the day of EEC tuners. I seem to recall him ripping his secondary liner out too out of utter frustration LOL, so do did my son after fighting it for 2 hours at least.
I have to laugh he was contorted in every upside down position imaginable, and the grand finale is a stupid green 7mm screw that MUST be removed from the plastic casing and then TRY to get the ECU out with 500lbs of wiring and harnesses Ford managed to shove into that kick panel area.

I had the same issued with my ECU. Not fun especially if you are 6'-0 and 250 lbs... I was really cursing Ford then...

Les Borda
08-20-2014, 11:27 PM
Thank gawd it wasn't just him, it is the most "head up your whazoo Mr Ford electrical engineer because YOU are never going to have to remove it" thing I have ever encountered.

Much like when I was an IT field service engineer and serviced physically enormous computers, disk drives and tape drives.....uh ya guess you figured Mr Engineer this or that will never have to be replaced LOL.

ALS35
08-22-2014, 09:26 PM
Les;
You can check if the chip is the problem very easily. You haven't put the computer back in, right? Take the chip out and start the car. It will run without it. If that is the case then the chip is wrong.
Happened to me a couple of weeks ago. With the chip in it would start but only run (and badly) if I kept the foot on the gas as you describe. DD told me the tune was wrong. Long story short, he wrote the tune for a 90 and I have a 93. Sounds like my problem exactly. The computer sees the chip but not the tune so it defaults to limp mode.
I did everything right on the engine but the chip was wrong. Don't take the engine work apart until you do this chip confirmation.
Alan
P.S. If you drop the glove box door you don't have to stand on your head to get the computer out. It's a ten minute job. Really.

Les Borda
08-22-2014, 10:24 PM
Thanks Al I did try it without the chip, same issue.

My bad, the intake plenum has a gasket rather than RTV-ing it like I am used to, I cannot see behind the plenum when I install it, the damned gasket some of it slipped out the back...hence major air sucking. I knew it sounded like my XR7 when one of the guys working with us forgot to RTV the intake plenum after I had blown HG's and we were redoing the heads and what not.

Nonetheless, DONE and runs like a dream !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Dave D !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!