Interesting Day at the Track

SCrazy

SCCoA Member
Interesting day at the track today:

First off I got tossed out after two passes for my factory aluminum spare front wheels not being NHRA compliant. Evidently NO factory spare wheels are technically approved since they are not tested/rated to the speeds seen at the track. Good news was that since they missed the wheels at tech they refunded my $$ and gave me a pass to return for free. I've been running these wheels at the track for about 10 years and never had an issue before but the rule in the NHRA book was pretty clear and explicit.

Second I managed a new personal best pass before getting tossed 10.516 @ 128.11 with a 1.449 60' so that was pretty exciting.:D

I also took a video from under the car of the new rear end at work:

This was not of the best pass but I think this pass was 10.57....I surprised just how little the suspension moves. I need to educate myself now on making adjustments to the setup to maximize things.

Last edited:
Interesting day at the track today:

First off I got tossed out after two passes for my factory aluminum spare front wheels not being NHRA compliant. Evidently NO factory spare wheels are technically approved since they are not tested/rated to the speeds seen at the track. Good news was that since they missed the wheels at tech they refunded my $$ and gave me a pass to return for free. I've been running these wheels at the track for about 10 years and never had an issue before but the rule in the NHRA book was pretty clear and explicit.

Second I managed a new personal best pass before getting tossed 10.516 @ 128.11 with a 1.449 60' so that was pretty exciting.:D

I also took a video from under the car of the new rear end at work:

This was not of the best pass but I think this pass was 10.57....I surprised just how little the suspension moves. I need to educate myself now on making adjustments to the setup to maximize things.

Very cool. I am running spares for front skinnies. Wonder if clay city will object to them someday. Good times

Ken

Sweet run, Great job. Congrads on your new best;) I am iffy on them factory rims I have not run them since 110 traps I have since hit 120 and think I am going to sell them.

I've been griped at before at Gateway for the aluminum spare wheels, but I actually pulled out my NHRA rulebook to show the inspector that the wheels are indeed legal per General Regulations, Section 20:5:2. Spare tires are not legal.

The title of section 20:5 is Tires & Wheels even thought the title of the following paragraph 20:5:1 says tires. The track said that because of the name of the section it applied to both wheels and tires.

Last edited:
The title of section 20:5:2 contains Tires & Wheels even thought the language in the following paragraph says tires. The track said that because of the name of the section it applied to both wheels and tires.

20:5:1 contains Tires. 20:5:2 contains wheels. Only 20:5:1 mentions anything about "spares". The inspector is incorrect.

I looked at the book and changed my post to correct the section numbers and titles.

I agree with you since the subparagraph on wheels says nothing about the spare wheels and its the subparagraph on tires the excludes spare tires but I could not win the argument at the track.

Last edited:
Nice times Brian

That stinks about the wheels....I simply don't understand their logic on that one. I've been sitting on a pair of those wheels for a few years now and it'll be a bummer if they don't let me use them. The tires are obviously understandable, but not the wheels. If you ever go back and talk some sense into them, let me know. Otherwise I'll be in the market for something else as well.

Rules_zps3406d01d.jpg

Last edited:
I've emailed the tech department at three different tracks for their opinion. Seems clear to me but what do I know. I'll let you guys know when I hear back from them.

I've emailed the tech department at three different tracks for their opinion. Seems clear to me but what do I know. I'll let you guys know when I hear back from them.

I'm surprised that they would even "know" that they were factory spares. Anyhow, let us know what you hear.

So the track passed my wheel question on to Rick Campbell the NHRA Northeast Division Technical Director. His response was:

"The OEM spare wheels and tires are designed to run together and not separately. The spare tires are not compatible with other wheels and the spare wheels are also not compatible with other tires."

I guess in the eyes of the NHRA the spare wheels/tires are an assembly, can only be used as such and are not allowed either as an assembly or individually.

I have not yet heard back from the tech people at the two other tracks I sent messages to. But at least I know this is not a local track thing I now have a ruling from an NHRA official.

I've also now heard back from another track who's tech director has never had this question come up in the past and who on reading the rule thought I was OK but he was going to go to NHRA for a ruling as well.

Back