timing cover dowel pins

ghostryder

i am trying to remove the dowel pins from the engine block where the timing cover goes is there an easy way to get them out or where can i purchase some new ones. i tried for about 2hrs to get them out and no luck!!

thanks

The dowels are basically a pressed in fit, PB blast them and see what happens.
If they still don't come out you might need to drill them out.

Vise Grips on a slide hammer. I bought something like that at my local Ford Dealer. Aren't they more like a sleeve?

More than likely they're baked in place with oil. Try some penetrating oil and then heating them with a torch and pulling on them with vise grips. :cool:

are the dowel pins really needed? i heated them up used vise grips and tried the slide hammer and no luck. those suckers are really in there!!

Yes, The timing cover needs to be lined up precisely. Mainly for the gear mesh of the SPOUT drive on the Camshaft, but also for the crank seal, and timing marks. Ford had them 2 years ago. I doubt they are SC specific. Don't ask me why I had to buy some that was 2 yrs ago.

are the dowel pins really needed? i heated them up used vise grips and tried the slide hammer and no luck. those suckers are really in there!!
If you were heating the pins, that won't do you much good as they are expanding to fit even tighter. You want to heat up the surrounding case so that it expands. The amount of expansion is very small. You can't see the difference. :cool:

Yes, dowels are the only acceptable way to locate any mating parts. Bolts/studs are only for clamping not locating.

Back