Baffled breather that works with PCV system

David Neibert

SCCoA Admin
Ran across this part today and I'm fairly certain it will fit an SC. It replaces the oil fill cap and allows excessive crank case pressure to vent without ditching your PCV system.

http://www.c-f-m.com/performancepar...bra-2007-2013-GT500-186p3206.htm#.VAoLuFc08g8

NOTE: This product only fits threaded (screw in) type valve covers.

CFM Performance now makes it easy to vent your crankcase with our new billet valve cover breather kit. This kit is a direct replacement for your factory oil fill cap and allows unwanted crankcase pressure to exit.

This breather is the ONLY one in the market which incorporates a check ball to keep unmetered air from coming through while the crankcase is under vacuum. In other words, this breather acts just like a factory oil cap under normal driving conditions and when you get into boost it will release any crankcase pressure present.

The proprietary internal baffle substantially reduces oil particle travel without affecting air flow. A double-seal O-ring is used to reduce the amount of force needed to create a positive seal, increasing seal life and eliminating leaks. The filter element is washable and has a chrome top for great looks. The pre-oiled cotton fiber traps dirt particles without restricting air flow. Although this kit was designed for use in racing applications, it works and looks great on any engine compartment.

I went ahead and ordered one, but only plan to use it when racing.

David

Last edited:
Here's a great alternative so that you don't have an oily mist all over your engine from the breather (I can only imagine what it would be like with a boosted car)--i'm running an ME Wagner adjustable PCV on my 3.8 Stang, where you can adjust and tune the amount of vacuum at idle and at cruise speeds. I know that the stock PCV on those engines is super aggressive and a ton of oil ends up back in the intake. In conjunction with a Moroso air/ oil separator, it has vented the crankcase fumes well--there's some oil in there as well as gas vapors--but the hose leading from the ME Wagner/ Moroso air-oil separator is bone dry. I'm thinking of putting the exact same setup on my SC, where it would keep the oil out of the intercooler and intercooler tubing, as well as the rest of the engine.

There's something about oil fumes and vapors mixing with the incoming air charge that seems antithetic to creating the most power in an engine. At WOT, the PCV is disabled, but I can tell you that at midrange cruising RPM's in my Mustang, the vacuum in the engine is pretty good.....i'm running about 50 degrees of spark advance at about 3000-3500 RPM's and 94 octane and no pinging.

Last edited:
The baffled breather I ordered from CFM performance arrived last week and it fits my 91 SC just fine. It doesn't look as cool as the polished SC oil fill cap cover that I bought from Greg at Primo Forged Wheels, so I'll probably only use it when racing the car. Just replaces the oil fill cap so it only takes a few seconds to install. I'm also using an oil separator plumbed between the PCV valve and inlet plenum.

Several of the guys on SVT performance are using this and said they don't get any oil droplets leaking from the filter. I'll have it on my car at the Shootout if you want to get a closer look. This article also has more info on how it works and some pictures.

http://www.svtperformance.com/?p=5687

David

I just ordered one David hope it solves my issues for good, I hate cleaning oil off stuff all the time!

Here's a great alternative so that you don't have an oily mist all over your engine from the breather (I can only imagine what it would be like with a boosted car)--i'm running an ME Wagner adjustable PCV on my 3.8 Stang, where you can adjust and tune the amount of vacuum at idle and at cruise speeds. I know that the stock PCV on those engines is super aggressive and a ton of oil ends up back in the intake. In conjunction with a Moroso air/ oil separator, it has vented the crankcase fumes well--there's some oil in there as well as gas vapors--but the hose leading from the ME Wagner/ Moroso air-oil separator is bone dry. I'm thinking of putting the exact same setup on my SC, where it would keep the oil out of the intercooler and intercooler tubing, as well as the rest of the engine.

There's something about oil fumes and vapors mixing with the incoming air charge that seems antithetic to creating the most power in an engine. At WOT, the PCV is disabled, but I can tell you that at midrange cruising RPM's in my Mustang, the vacuum in the engine is pretty good.....i'm running about 50 degrees of spark advance at about 3000-3500 RPM's and 94 octane and no pinging.

Can you post some pics of the setup you've got? I can't quite "see" it from your description, and am not familiar with the parts you mentioned. If you could throw out a link to them, or where you got them that would be great too

Thanks

Adam

Can you post some pics of the setup you've got? I can't quite "see" it from your description, and am not familiar with the parts you mentioned. If you could throw out a link to them, or where you got them that would be great too

Thanks

Adam

Here's pics of my 3.8 Stang:

mustangvalvecover750X423.JPG
mustangenginebay750X423.JPG
mustangmorosoairoilseparator750X422.JPG

The PCV system is reversed on this, compared to the SC's.....the PCV valve is on the driver's valve cover. The ME Wagner adjustable PCV is on there, and the tubing hooks to the Moroso air/ oil separator that i'd custom installed (removed my A/C and compressor). The tube from the Moroso goes to the intake.

It would be pretty simple to do this on the SC's. Run the ME Wagner to an air/ oil separator, then run the tube out of the air/ oil separator into the tube that normally hooks up to the factory PCV. My only dilemma would be as to where i'd put the air/ oil separator in the tight engine bay.

A link for the ME Wagner is at http://mewagner.com/?page_id=444 . A tremendous idea, and the build quality of them is incredible. Especially with a boosted engine to evacuate excessive blowby, while aiding the push/ pull of the pistons and rings/ seals. All you need is a vacuum gauge to tune it.

I believe that pretty much any Moroso air/ oil separator will work, it's just that the tubing will differ that they have with it for whatever vehicle kit that they're selling it with. I had bought some reinforced tubing from the hardware store and cut it to fit.

Thanks Fstbrd, that is like you pointed out just the same as most SC set ups I've seen but backwards. Just needed to understand the adj pcv.

Thanks for the link

Adam

Back