89 SC PS dipstick-cap differences...?

Plat0ribs

I need to change out the steering rack on my 89 SC and decided I'd fix the reservoir on the pump while I'm at it.
When I look up the part at RA I see the image below (black), but the actual part on my car looks like the one directly under this text.

89SCPSdipstick-cap_zps88fedd41.jpg

89SCPSdipstick-capfromRA_zpsab70347d.jpg

I'm thinking the black cap fits where the yellow extension does that I'm seeing on the car. I'm sure this is a newb question but I'm trying to get on top of a bunch of little niggling issues before I tackle them on my new car build.

Any feedback/advice will be much appreciated.

Also any tips or tricks to R&Ring the steering rack?

TIA,
Chris/Plat0

PS: if anybody has one of the yellow cap-extensions like in the first image above in good condition with intact dog/catches, I would like to buy it for this 89.

Last edited:
Right, the black cap/stick is used when the extension with it's yellow stick isn't. SCs use the extension and yellow stick.

Speak up if you need one or both.

I haven't dropped the rack yet so I can only offer general tips...mainly do the bushings if it's out (rebuilt rack might be worth the money?) and be sure to bleed carefully when re-installing.

That cap is for a mustang 3.8 it will work and is better for FMIC. As far as r&p acc. bracket and pump out I did my motor mounts at the same time so the motor lifted up to where the back of it is almost at the fire wall worked pretty good. I learned the hard way that it is best to replace high pressure hose for pump and return hose at time of install.

Thank you guys for your prompt responses.

I'm off to source the new (reman'd rack) and get this done.

;)
Plat0

I got mine from auto zone came with the lines and bushings also outer tie rod ends for like 100 bucks lifetime replacement good deal. Also the response on corners is fantastic.

Back