Squeaky front end

sonrider657

A very loud squeak has developed in the front end of my 94 SC. Sounds like it is somewhere in the suspension system. I recently had the sway bar bushings replaced but the squeak developed several months after that.

Are there any hidden grease fittings that need lube? Where else should I look?

when does it occur? mine happened when i would brake or upon acceleration from stop...i jacked it up and started shaking stuff and realized it was the strut bar bushings at frame on the drivers side...i replaced at the lower control arm and at the k member and its gone now. still need to do the pass side.

Squeaks during normal driving. Not so much over large bumps (like speed bumps) but it is very loud when I push down on the front bumper. Seems to be coming from both left and right sides. Has appeared and gotten progressively louder over just a few weeks time.

I was just trying to post a thread about replacing the strut rod bushings and this site wont let me upload pics for some reason.

Quite possibly upper control arm bushings.

Also, some aftermarket parts have grease fittings, so if anything was replaced (LCAs, sway bar end links), check those.

With the car parked, walk to each front wheel and bounce the whole car....do you hear it then?

Or is the noise only/also while driving?

Yes, it is quite loud while parked if pushed down on either side.

You should have someone look under it while bouncing, and see if you can tell which piece has play/is squeaking...of course being careful not to get bounced-on by the car...

Yes, it is quite loud while parked if pushed down on either side.

I'd guess upper control arms, at least. The bushings that are inboard where it bolts to the body. The large outer ball joints tend to pop, I think, rather than squeak. One way to check, outside of visual and jacking it up and checking for play at both those points is to lift it enough so you can spray some WD-40 on the rubber bushings front/rear of each arm, inboard. It might clear up for a while and if the bushings and outer ball joint are ok, it might fix it.

Of course, if they're original, then not much question they need replacing, I think. Note too that some aftermarket upper ball joints have grease fittings. Same with sway bar end links.

The weather had been rainy for a while which seemed to lessen the squeaking problem. No that it has dried out, the problem has returned.

I have found that the problem intensifies greatly after the car has been driven a few miles. I can push down on the front end and it squeaks loudly. If I let it sit over night, and press down on it the next morning, the squeak is barely noticeable but reappears after driving a few miles. Weird. Any ideas?

Did you spray some WD-40 on the rubber bushings front/rear of each upper control arm where it pivots on the inner fender to help detect/fix?

Did you get the front end off the floor and inspect the suspension? If not, we're just rehashing same as above, I think.

Did you spray some WD-40 on the rubber bushings front/rear of each upper control arm where it pivots on the inner fender to help detect/fix?

Did you get the front end off the floor and inspect the suspension? If not, we're just rehashing same as above, I think.

Yes, I sprayed WD-40 on everything. It quieted down for about 20 miles then started squeaking again.

Well, that's a start - now, spray some WD-40 on the rubber bushings front/rear of just the right side upper control arm where it pivots on the inner fender, and see if it the noise quits again for a while.

Back