Oil pump won't prime

Giro

Before I start up my new engine, im trying to prime it with oil, since its been sitting since 1990. Im using an air ratchet with an extension and the hex piece that drives the oil pump. I tried for about a total of 10 minutes, and I'm still not seeing any oil coming to the top at the rockers and valve covers. I already searched and saw a couple things, one was to remove the pump, pack it with jelly, and put it back in. Another was to pour oil down the cam position sensor hole into the pump that way. Whats the best way to go about this? Also, is this normal? Ive read that people usually build pressure fairly quickly, just seems odd that its taking this long.

Both of your comments got me thinking about the direction the pump is supposed to spin, so I was able to do a more thorough search and got my answer. Its supposed to go counterclockwise. Thanks your help, I appreciate it.

Ford says use petroleum jelly to prime the pump. This is what I use too, this way you know its primed and can still reassemble the unit.

I don't think you will have enough RPM's with an air ratchet to prime the pump and build pressure. Use a strong cordless drill and go counterclockwise.

I don't think you will have enough RPM's with an air ratchet to prime the pump and build pressure. Use a strong cordless drill and go counterclockwise.

Agree with this. I just don't see good things using an air ratchet to do this period. Stick a drill on it and in about 30 seconds oil pressure will be trying to burn your drill up. You will feel the pressure build, then you are done. Counterclockwise for sure. Forget petroleum jelly.

chris

Last edited:
Agree with this. I just don't see good things using an air ratchet to do this period. Stick a drill on it and in about 30 seconds oil pressure will be trying to burn your drill up. You will feel the pressure build, then you are done. Counterclockwise for sure. Forget petroleum jelly.

chris

What he said. Lubricate the pump with engine oil prior to assembly and use a good drill. Nothing else is needed. I've done it with a hand speed wrench, but that's a lot of work for no purpose.

Thanks guys for the input. The engine was a crate engine, so it was already built, so I didnt install the oil pump myself. The hex shaft that drives the oil pump had oil on it, so I figured the pump was full of oil. The air ratchet was indeed not fast enough, so I used an air drill and got oil coming out at the rockers within 30 seconds. Fired her up and she sounds great. Now just need to find a place to smog her up here in Sacramento...might have to change the headers back to the stock manifolds and get some exhaust pieces made to match them up if the headers fail me on the visual.

FYI, I use my old NiCd 18v B&D Drill and it primes it every time. You know when it prime though.

Back