Black carpet dye

CaifanSC

SCCoA Member
So I've had a hard time finding OEM Black carpets for my 93. I have an old set of dirty grey OEM 89-93 mats that I was thinking of dying in Black, but I have never used any dyes.

Anyone have any experience with good brands? Also any tips? I'm assuming it's just like spray paint and just give several timed coats from about 12 inches away and allowing time to dry between coats.

Would love to hear your experiences.

Thanks!

Your local automotive paint supplier shoulf habe what you need. (Not am automotive chain store) They can also school you in the application. The dye will spray just like paint and be sure to brush the carpet bavk and forth between coats to be sure that all the fibers get dyed. Have plenty of good ventilation and wear a good paint mask. Not a paper dust mask. I have to do the same to my carpet this winter.

Have you tried to looking for black carpet from a Mark VIII? That's what I've got in the 94 - I had to trim it up a bit, but overall was very pleased with it.

Your local automotive paint supplier shoulf habe what you need. (Not am automotive chain store) They can also school you in the application. The dye will spray just like paint and be sure to brush the carpet bavk and forth between coats to be sure that all the fibers get dyed. Have plenty of good ventilation and wear a good paint mask. Not a paper dust mask. I have to do the same to my carpet this winter.

Thanks for the tips!

Have you tried to looking for black carpet from a Mark VIII? That's what I've got in the 94 - I had to trim it up a bit, but overall was very pleased with it.

Ooo...no I have not. I'll give that a try. Do you have any pix of yours? I'm curious what they look like, altho I think I have a line to a good set for the 94 and 95.

Have you looked at rockauto.com or supercouperformance.com?

super coupe performance only has aftermarket replacements, Bill was kind enough to contact me about it. Haven't tried Rock auto tho...worth a try!

Are you looking for black carpet, or black mats? I have black carpet from a Mark in my 94. It's a pretty decent fit. I also have a couple sets of black Mark VIII mats but they have the 'Mark VIII' embroidery on them. I'd sell them pretty cheap if you wanted them. They need to be washed.

Similar to these:
$_35.JPG

So I've had a hard time finding OEM Black carpets for my 93. I have an old set of dirty grey OEM 89-93 mats that I was thinking of dying in Black, but I have never used any dyes.

Anyone have any experience with good brands? Also any tips? I'm assuming it's just like spray paint and just give several timed coats from about 12 inches away and allowing time to dry between coats.

Would love to hear your experiences.

Thanks!

Have you ever looked at RIT dye?
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/58135-tip-day-rit-dye.html

A buddy of mine does a lot of air cooled VW interior work. He's run into the inability to match some of the orig colors. He gets dye from one of the local professional paint supply houses by the quart/gallon (I know they sell PPG, but not sure if it is PPG dye), not the rattle can stuff. He has been very happy with it. You do need to have the compressor and spray gun stuff, but that usually works better anyway. He made a point of saying to use many VERY light coats, brushing or "fluffing" between each to prevent matting/clumping.

Good luck with this. Post before/after pics, and maybe even a few in process. I'd like to see how it turns out, I have a MKVII that has some bad stains in the gray rug and would like to go black with it. I have a real nice black rug from a MKVIII that I was gonna use, but as others have posted they fit the SC's well I may save it for one of them. I'd like to se some pics of the MKVIII carpet installed in the SC too

Adam

Back