Updated, checkout the exhaust lash ((Best Headgaskets?))

flynbrd

Excluding the MLS head gaskets which brand and style is best for the sc? I think my MLS headgasket blow so I'm looking to replace them with something a bit cheaper. This summer my I was showing off my sc when (at about 14#s) suddenly got a loud ticking sound from my driver side number 5 or 6 cylinder. I figured an exhaust leak or the stud roller rocker came off. The motor didn't run quite right almost acting like a miss at times. So on vacation now and I'm tearing the motor out thinking I'll find a rocker off when the valve cover comes off. Nope everything is fine, next pull the exhaust gasket and of course its fine also. Run a compression test, #4 140ish ,#5 150ish, #6 120 ?!. Thinking now the mls is failing on that side. I read somewhere the R6 needs to be machined for mls? The block was rebuilt but none of the surfaces where machined just cleaned off. (the engine was zero decked before and the heads rebuilt. ) The lower engine uses coy miller rods, pistons so I'm sure internals are good. Which MLS gaskets should I use? 3.8 or 4.2?

I love paying professionals to assemble my motor. Just check out the awesome job the shop did on my exhaust rocker.:dead: No wonder I had heat issues. Time to take the engine apart and look for damage.

exhaust lash.jpg

Last edited:
Not likely that the gasket failed in such a way as to cause a ticking sound and lower compression. It's more likely that you have damaged a piston. Yes, it can happen that fast. If you have a leaking headgasket then you will be pressurizing the cooling system and /or burning coolant.

Bad lifter

Turns out the roller lifter failed. First time I've seen this. The retaining clip actually popped out.

Attachments

• 2014-09-22 11.03.18.jpg
    2014-09-22 11.03.18.jpg
    283.8 KB · Views: 85
Back