Jackshaft

1bad67cat

OK. My jackshaft is making a growling noise, so the bearings must be going out. 1) Is it ok to drive without the SC being driven, and 2) How do I fix this?

OK. My jackshaft is making a growling noise, so the bearings must be going out. 1) Is it ok to drive without the SC being driven, and 2) How do I fix this?

This was a recent topic on the Facebook page. Some of the SC owners have ordered bearings from the following link. I have not tried these myself. I believe you would need to request to be a member to use the facebook link.
You will need to have old one pressed out and new one pressed in.

http://primomachine.bigcartel.com/product/nsk-jackshaft-bearing-885925
https://www.facebook.com/groups/133369289895/

As for driving with no SC belt, yes, you can do it for now. It is the only thing on that belt. The car will drive fine, just can't go too fast.

normal highway speeds should be fine? I'm not planning on racing, or anything. Just need to get that part, and have it replaced.

What I meant was, you can go as fast as the car will go - it just won't go that fast. I think highway speeds should be ok. It will just be slow to accelerate.

If driving without the supercharger belt you will want to put a zip tie or some wire on the bypass valve to hold it in the open position.

David

Thanks for the heads up on that David. Would it be cheaper to just find a good, used bracket with a good jackshaft on it? Then I could save for the bearing, and the machine shop for the press.

If you find another bracket with usable bearing and go to all the trouble to swap, you might get enough use out of it to not need to hurry with a replacement, if at all. It is a heavy assembly, so be prepared to pay more for shipping than the bracket itself in some cases, I'd think.

Note if you go in that far, it makes it easier to do other work, such as the pass. side motor mount.

I think my mounts are in decent shape, for now. And a local bone yard has an XR7, and an SC. I believe the XR7 has been picked enough, that the bracket should be easy enough to get out.

I think my mounts are in decent shape, for now. And a local bone yard has an XR7, and an SC. I believe the XR7 has been picked enough, that the bracket should be easy enough to get out.

That's probably your best bet for now. If it starts failing at some future point, at least you will get notice to do the bearing swap on your original bracket and have less down time.

Back